Spacing Problems

Help for TextMaker 2006 for Linux and FreeBSD

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

chazco

Spacing Problems

Post by chazco » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:10 am

Hi,

I recently downloaded the Softmaker Office 2006 for Linux trial. It seems great except for one bug - the line spacing in Textmaker on Linux is different to the line spacing in Textmaker/Word on Windows (both of which render correctly). I'm guessing that this is due to the Microsoft fonts, but it could be something else. It sounds like a minor bug but it can completely change the way a document looks/prints...

Any ideas?

EDIT: Attached an artificial sample document and some screenshots..
Last edited by chazco on Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tobias-L

Re: Spacing Problems

Post by Tobias-L » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:54 am

Most of the time it's either font related or printer related. Please change the printer in Windows or Linux and you will have a little bit different results.
TextMaker 2006 renders the text printer dependent. Starting with TextMaker 2008 you will be able to use printer independent rendering of text.
Tobias Leißner
SoftMaker Software GmbH

chazco

Post by chazco » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:12 pm

Uninstalling the Microsoft fonts _fixes_ this as far as i can see (Textmaker seems to use the closest match it can find which works well)...

chazco

Post by chazco » Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:22 am

After checking several files formatting still doesn't quite match up.

The Windows version of TextMaker renders the same as MS Office. Running under Linux, with the MS fonts installed, it renders badly (enough to make a document a page shorter in a 6 page file!). This seems odd since they are using the exact same font file. Without the MS fonts it renders better, but still not quite right. Printouts act the same way (using the same printer).

Is there anyone using Ubuntu 7.10 who has managed to get documents that use the MS fonts to display as they should?

chazco

Post by chazco » Tue May 13, 2008 10:08 am

After some discussion with Softmaker support it seems that this is an issue with Freetype, which has been fixed in Softmaker Office 2008 but will not be fixed in the 2006 version. I wasn't planning on upgrading until DataMaker and the .docx filters were ready, so is it possible to make Textmaker 2006 use the system version of Freetype (like the OpenOffice LD_PRELOAD=/usr/libfreetype.so option)?

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l » Tue May 13, 2008 11:44 am

Hello,

there will be no bugfix for these problems in SoftMaker Office 2006. In SoftMaker Office 2008 these problems have been fixed.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Return to “TextMaker 2006 for Linux and FreeBSD”