Unable to print duplex

Help for TextMaker 2006 for Linux and FreeBSD

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

EricC

Unable to print duplex

Post by EricC » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:45 pm

Hi There,

Using rev 468.

I setup a printer in cups (1.3.4) on Zenwalk Linux. In the printer configuration, I told cups that I want to have everything print in duplex by default. So far, everything prints in duplex as expected except for TextMaker.

Any suggestions on where to start looking?

Thanks,
-Eric

Tobias-L

Re: Unable to print duplex

Post by Tobias-L » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:26 am

TextMaker prints as always, as TextMaker cannot know that the printer driver prints duplex. So please print via GhostScript (gv) to see the regular printout generated by TextMaker. Now you can use GhostView to print again, but this time with duplex printing.

Does it work?
If it doesn't work, it seems like your printer driver is not able to use existing printing code and change it to duplex mode.
Tobias Leißner
SoftMaker Software GmbH

EricC

Post by EricC » Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:28 pm

Tobias-L wrote:TextMaker prints as always, as TextMaker cannot know that the printer driver prints duplex. So please print via GhostScript (gv) to see the regular printout generated by TextMaker. Now you can use GhostView to print again, but this time with duplex printing.

Does it work?
If it doesn't work, it seems like your printer driver is not able to use existing printing code and change it to duplex mode.
Printing through gv did not work either. What I do not understand is how printing through Thunderbird, AbiWord, Opera, and other assorted apps do work.

Edit: Okay, I think I am getting the gist now. The other apps must use a different print methodology. Still unfortunate that I can't duplex though :(

Edit II: If I switch the output to pdf as opposed to postscript, the document will duplex.

Edit III: Okay, I apparently cannot get enough of editing my own posts. If I use the builtin cups driver, everything works as expected. There must be something up with the latest HP driver.

Tobias-L

Post by Tobias-L » Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:27 am

We only create PostScript code, which gets sent to your printer driver. This printer driver changes the code so your printer does duplex printing. You can see the code generated by TextMaker by printing via gv (GhostView).
Tobias Leißner
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Return to “TextMaker 2006 for Linux and FreeBSD”