No more TextMaker for FreeBSD?

Help for TextMaker 2006 for Linux and FreeBSD

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

casantos

No more TextMaker for FreeBSD?

Post by casantos » Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:17 am

I just read at The Jem Report (can't post URL) that
According to SoftMaker president Martin Kotulla, the only commercial word processor available as a native FreeBSD application, TextMaker, will no longer support that platform as of the upcoming 2008 edition. There will of course be a Windows edition, and a native Linux edition (which should be able to run through the Linux binary compatibility software in FreeBSD), but the FreeBSD edition will not grow beyond TextMaker (and the full SoftMaker Office suite) 2006 unless there is more demand from FreeBSD users, and the operating system itself becomes easier to develop for.
This is bad news for me. I like SoftMaker office very much and use it on a regular basis. I was eagerly waiting for the 2008 version to upgrade.

Tobias-L

Post by Tobias-L » Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:15 pm

Currently, our plan is indeed not to support FreeBSD anymore. As soon as we change our opinion about supporting FreeBSD we will announce this.

But a question: Is there a disadvantage in using the Linux emulator under FreeBSD to run TextMaker and PlanMaker for Linux?
Tobias Leißner
SoftMaker Software GmbH

EricC

Post by EricC » Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:24 pm

Tobias-L wrote:Currently, our plan is indeed not to support FreeBSD anymore. As soon as we change our opinion about supporting FreeBSD we will announce this.

But a question: Is there a disadvantage in using the Linux emulator under FreeBSD to run TextMaker and PlanMaker for Linux?
As long as it works under the linux binary compatibility I am fine with the decision. I am sure it will also help reduce development costs.

francisco

Re: No more TextMaker for FreeBSD?

Post by francisco » Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:45 pm

The two reasons posted for the not supporting it, as I understand it, are lack of "interest" fromt he FreeBSD market and increased difficulties in development.

Has there been any attempt in contacting the FreeBSD foundation in terms of the changes made in FreeBSD that are making the port more difficult?

Will Softmaker at least check that the program works under Linux emulation in FreeBSD?
Does this news also applies to planmaker?

psternak

Post by psternak » Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:11 am

I too, am disappointed by the announcement to drop support for the FreeBSD version.

I have gotten the linux version to run under emulation on OpenBSD 4.2. I have been unable to get the FreeBSD version to run. The FreeBSD compat libraries are on the system and the emulation is turned on by default in the GENERIC kernel.

Goggling on the topic, I found one person who claimed to have it running but he provided no details.

I have the binaries loaded in the /usr/local/emul/freebsd/office tree. When I try to execute textmaker or planmaker as root, I get operation not permitted. The permissions on the binaries are 755.

Anyone have any ideas what I might be missing?

Thanks,

Tobias-L

Post by Tobias-L » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:22 am

As this issue is about the compatibility libraries of OpenBSD and FreeBSD it would be better to post this thread to a FreeBSD forum. These people use FreeBSD more often and will be able to help you.
Tobias Leißner
SoftMaker Software GmbH

foxwb

Post by foxwb » Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:23 pm

too bad news, I just plan to introduce softmaker-office the the FreeBSDer around me, but, oh.... it seems there is no need to do that..
what a pity.

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:36 am

Hello,

there is a emulator for Linux Software integrated in FreeeBSD. You can use it to run SoftMaker Office for Linux under FreeBSD, but there will be no more a pure FreeBSD version.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Return to “TextMaker 2006 for Linux and FreeBSD”