What does it take to get clear installation instructions?

Help for TextMaker 2006 for Pocket PCs

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

skaufman

What does it take to get clear installation instructions?

Postby skaufman » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:05 am

This amazing. I buy the software for my WM6 PDA, and I get extremely unclear registration advice that seems to have been written for users of SoftMaker Office for Windows, not for the PPC. I did not buy the version for Windows. While I'm new in the PPC user world, I've spent years in the Palm world. I do not understand why a process that could simply involve inserting a unlock code in a downloaded program should be such a huge deal.

I'll tell you, if I could be sure that Documents to Go for WM6 Professional would be released anytime soon, I'd go with that.

Oh, and did anyone notice that TM doesn't show up as an installed program in WM6 Pro?

Tobias-L

Re: What does it take to get clear installation instructions?

Postby Tobias-L » Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:33 am

At first, you cannot register the trial, so please download and install the full version.
Installation gets done via your desktop PC while your Pocket PC is connected via ActiveSync. The installer will ask for the serial number and copies the files over to your Pocket PC.

As we use a desktop PC installer, the software doesn't show up in ActiveSync installed programs. However, it gets listed on your desktop PC.

Do you need additional information on how to install our software?
Tobias Leißner
SoftMaker Software GmbH

skaufman

Postby skaufman » Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:36 pm

Tobias-L wrote:At first, you cannot register the trial, so please download and install the full version.
Installation gets done via your desktop PC while your Pocket PC is connected via ActiveSync. The installer will ask for the serial number and copies the files over to your Pocket PC.

As we use a desktop PC installer, the software doesn't show up in ActiveSync installed programs. However, it gets listed on your desktop PC.

Do you need additional information on how to install our software?

Thanks. However, I do not know how to download a "full version." There is one installer, so far as I can see.

skaufman

Postby skaufman » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:22 pm

RIDICULOUS!!!!!

I am getting REALLY REALLY angry. I cannot understand how to register this thing. WHY CAN'T YOU GUYS GIVE CLEAR INSTRUCTIONS?

I have reinstalled to my PDA. I am given a choice when I start up TextMaker to "Continue" or "Info and Ordering."

I AM NOT ALLOWED TO INPUT ANYTHING ELSE. Why do I have NO PROBLEM WITH ANY SOFTWARE EXCEPT YOURS? Why do I need to use ALL CAPS to emphasize this matter? If there is a download that I can make and then have a chance to register, WHY DO YOU NOT PROVIDE SUCH A LINK?

Do you think this is the kind of thing that increases your revenue?

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Postby martin-k » Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:17 pm

I don't think that things are complicated at all. There is a free trial version, and there is a for-pay full version.

You CANNOT unlock the trial version to make it into a full version. You need to download, as per the instructions in the e-mail you received when you purchased the software, the full version and install that.

If the software comes up with "Info and Ordering" and "Continue" buttons, you are launching the trial version, not the full version. So, please install the full version and run that.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

skaufman

Postby skaufman » Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:23 pm

So, it turns out that Tobias L could have solved this problem very simply. All he needed to tell me was that the installer for the trial had ALMOST the same name as the one that could actually install fully. The link FOR THE INSTALLABLE version was actually in the email I received with the unlock code. The difference in the filenames was at the end, before the extension: EDIT: DON'T POST FILE NAMES, Tobias-L in the name, which must mean "evaluation." EDIT: DON'T POST FILE NAMES, Tobias-L by contrast, is the version that could be registered. The installer for the installable version immediately goes to a screen that permits the registration information to be entered. This screen has nothing to do with the info we enter that provides the details for our template (real name, address, etc.) when we fire up Planmaker/Textmaker from the WM6 device. The reference to the "Office" application refers to the installer, not to the individual applications that are installed (Planmaker or Textmaker).

Tobias, if the installation of your product for the WM device (there are no longer "Pocket PC" devices, only Windows Mobile (no touchscreen) and Windows Mobile Professional (touchscreen) devices), is going to be so non-standard, and it is, your company should have been much more precise and helpful. This rigmarole was utterly unnecessary.

skaufman

Postby skaufman » Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:34 pm

martin-k wrote:I don't think that things are complicated at all. There is a free trial version, and there is a for-pay full version.

You CANNOT unlock the trial version to make it into a full version. You need to download, as per the instructions in the e-mail you received when you purchased the software, the full version and install that.

If the software comes up with "Info and Ordering" and "Continue" buttons, you are launching the trial version, not the full version. So, please install the full version and run that.

Martin, I posted my last response when you were still writing yours. :|

I thank you for your response, of course. I stand by my complaint however, as this all should have been obvious from the start. Typically, one can unlock a trial version. This isn't written in stone--there are exceptions. This whole installation process is atypical. I do not know of any piece of WM (or Palm) software that is installed and registered only from the PC except for this product. There should be a help screen on the WM device that clearly indicates that there is a second installer, and that registration occurs only via that installer. The second installer should be clearly distinguishable from the first (trial) installer.

Oh, and if one wants to uninstall Softmaker from the PC, the choices should not be in German ("Ja"). I know a little German, but surely that should not be necessary.

Thanks.

Tobias-L

Postby Tobias-L » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:29 am

Thanks for your suggestions. We will forward them to the developers.
Tobias Leißner
SoftMaker Software GmbH

halljames

Postby halljames » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:26 am

I do not understand your complaint, skaufman

Ultimately, the problem was you were running the incorrect file. Is this not a USER issue. I personaly had no problem downloading and installing the full version when I bought the software.

skaufman

Postby skaufman » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:48 pm

halljames wrote:I do not understand your complaint, skaufman

Ultimately, the problem was you were running the incorrect file. Is this not a USER issue. I personaly had no problem downloading and installing the full version when I bought the software.

Almost anything can be considered either a "user issue" or a "developer issue." As the filenames have edited out in my previous post, I'll just say that the names of the installers were almost identical. Given my extensive experience working with other trialware, I made a couple of assumptions without even knowing that I had done so. I therefore asked here that in the future there should be more obvious signposts for those of us who expect a certain way of doing things that is not being followed by SoftMaker.

Return to “TextMaker 2006 for Pocket PCs”