Saving in the right format with proper icon!

Help for TextMaker 2006 for Pocket PCs

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

Zoandar

Postby Zoandar » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:20 am

Thanks for posting the URLs for me.

I found a way to get my info published onto Google Docs. In order to do that, since they won't accept PDFs, I had to create a text document with the copied image from my PDF into it. However, they also restrict text docs to 500K.

So, I started out with nice, clear, full color, 300 DPI imagery, and to make it fit I had to resort to taking the complete PDF and splitting it into 3 pages of 72 DPI grayscale, one page for each type of file association as viewed from MRE.

Sorry for the slightly fuzzy result, but it should provide you with the info you need.

In order to access the 3 files I had to split things into, there are actually 3 URLs involved. But you can go to view each of them directly without further ado.
On each file you will see the screen print I took from the MRE viewer utility, converted to grayscale. Keys that are NOT highlighted in gray are the keys that I found created by WM5 after a Hard Reset of my Axim X51v running WM5 ROM 12 update.

The keys that ARE highlighted in gray were viewed AFTER installing SoftMaker Office for PPC 2006, and having checked ALL the file type association checkboxes (telling it to open all of them with SoftMaker Office).

So this data is a composite "before and after" look at those registry keys.

For reasons unknown to me, installing as above did NOT change the association for text files with txt extensions as I expected it would. So they still open on my Axim with Pocket Word.

I hope this information will be helpful to those trying to work through the
same problem we have outlined in this topic.

Dell Axim X51v - WM5
Zoandar

Dell Axim X51v - WM5

Kenjari

Postby Kenjari » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:41 am

Thank you Zoandar. That worked perfect. :D Thank you for being the one to do the Hard Reset and resolving this. (i feel kind of bad you had to go through the struggle of restoring everything) I changed the registry via Resco Regedit plugin, ironically Resco is the reason why i'm in this jam. The icons are back to normal.

Thank you Tobias-L for posting this to the thread.

thanks again to both of you!!

Zoandar

Postby Zoandar » Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:41 am

You are welcome! Although HR and rebuilding my PDA isn't my first choice of things I'd like to do, I have come to the realization that it is an unfortunate requirement of owning a WM5 PDA. ( I can't say that Palm OS was any better, as I made the leap over the fence to get away from all the hassles of that OS). Truthfully, I have no idea how many times I have had to do it in order to restore the sudden loss of all alarms that WM5 is prone to, but it has been dozens of times in 2 years.

Many of those events were triggered by the installation of a 3rd party program. So when you said "ironically Resco is the reason why i'm in this jam. " would you mind telling me what you meant? Did Resco hose your PDA? I have used the trial version in the past, but I don't have any recollection of a problem with it. I keep track of the ones that cause problems, so I remember not to try installing them again later.

I'm glad you got the icons working again. Mine seem to be fine as well.
Zoandar

Dell Axim X51v - WM5

Kenjari

Postby Kenjari » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:20 am

Yeah. I made the leap 4 years ago and havent looked back since. I did appreciate Palm OS but most of the devices didnt evolve as fast as Window Mobile OS.

Resco Explorer has the prompt inside the when you tap and hold. There is an option that says "open with", similiar to Windows XP etc.

Well, once you hit "open with", it gives you a list of all your programs that would be compatible to open whatever document you selected pdf, doc., xls. etc. Down at the bottom there is a check option that says "All ways use this program to open this file". I have made this dum mistake twice. If you open a pword file with Textmaker, AND check this option, it rewrites the registry....changing the default icon as well.

Dont every check this option if you want to keep the default icon of pword and pexcel!!!!!!

Though Resco Exp. didnt do this on its own after installation. Its something that I did while trying to create shortcuts.

I discovered that once you open any document with "open with" option with out checking the box, that particular file will remain connected to Textmaker without changing the default icon. Cool thing about Resco!!!

I hope this made sense.

Thanks again for the help!! I appreciated!

Zoandar

Postby Zoandar » Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:30 am

I see. This was a most enlightening tale. I am very familiar with that type of operation on a Windows PC (XP and previous -- I doubt I'll ever use Vista) but I had not thought about the things that likely take place behind the scenes so that Windows knows what app to use the next time if you check that option.

When you said that NOT checking the option still keeps the file connected to Textmaker for the subsequent opening, did you mean that it will automatically select Textmaker to open more of those kinds of files without the "always use" option checked? If so, I wonder how it "knows". Do you suppose it writes some additional registry keys to divert that file type, say a P. Word document, to be opened with Textmaker but NOT change the icon?

Might be a fun experiment to track that down.

If you did check that option, and lost the pocket Word / Excel icons, couldn't you go back and tell Resco the next time to Open With and select Pocket Word, and then check the Always Use box again to get them back?

I had not decided to spring for the registered version of Resco File Explorer partially because of the limitations I had to endure with the WM5 requirement of having Pocket versions of documents instead of the real thing. I am interested in its wi-fi access abilities to get files from my PCs. Now that SoftMaker Office PPC has broken those bonds, and can actually handle a 'real' office document, I may try Resco again, because I could now share real documents between the Axim and my PCs.

I'm very happy with Soft Office, but I am also making a wish list of features I'd like to see in future versions. Is there a specific place here on the forum for those?
Zoandar

Dell Axim X51v - WM5

Tobias-L

Postby Tobias-L » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:29 am

Zoandar wrote:I'm very happy with Soft Office, but I am also making a wish list of features I'd like to see in future versions. Is there a specific place here on the forum for those?

Simply create a new thread and post all your feature requests there.
Tobias Leißner
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Return to “TextMaker 2006 for Pocket PCs”