Hint: turn off auto spell checking and double battery life!

Help for TextMaker 2006 for Pocket PCs

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

peejay

Hint: turn off auto spell checking and double battery life!

Postby peejay » Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:32 pm

Hint: turn off automatic spell checking and double battery life!

(...And use one of the default zoom levels)

I do a lot of work with big documents, and I’ve discovered that turning off automatic spelling checking (setting it to disabled under Extras > Preferences > Language) makes Textmaker behave much better. Generally it speeds it up considerably, and stops TextMaker arguing with other programs.

With it on I had all the following, which seem to have been fixed by turning it off:
- My Bluetooth Stowaway keyboard often not registering that I had pressed shift or control;
- TENGO garbling text;
- Wm5 notifications not working
- Very high drain on the battery (battery usage more than halved when I turned off automatic spell checking);
- Generally slow performance of the system even when TM was in the background, eg in File Explorer the list of files appearing very slowly;
- In TM if you tapped and held the scroll down arrow the document would only scroll down one line, it wouldn’t continue doing so.

If you want to check spelling, turn background spell checking on temporarily, and the red squiggly lines will appear pretty quickly. When you’ve fixed spelling errors, turn it back off again!

I did my battery tests with a live battery meter program called acbPowerMeter.

On the default zoom level thing, I’m less sure about this, but it does seem to me that the Stowaway and TENGO are more reliable when a built-in zoom level is used - say 100% or 150% - rather than a custom level of say 125%.

Kenjari

Postby Kenjari » Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:18 pm

Just a curious question. If I turn on "Spellcheck in the background" as oppose "spellcheck when typing a word" will it still consume the alot of battery?

Tobias-L

Postby Tobias-L » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:06 am

Everything consuming CPU power will use battery power, too. As the spell checker in the background needs some CPU power, too, it will also need some battery power.
Tobias Leißner
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Zoandar

Postby Zoandar » Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:29 am

I had the automatic spell checking on as well, during my learning curve for the program, and also experienced the "scroll only one line" issue. Plus, the battery in my Axim, which usually lasts me all day and then some, went low really fast today. I thought it might have been the couple times I was online with it, but now I am thinking this may have been the cause.

I am charging it now, and will try turning off the spell checker and see if it helps.
Zoandar

Dell Axim X51v - WM5

Return to “TextMaker 2006 for Pocket PCs”