Comments bugs

Help for TextMaker 2006 for Pocket PCs

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

Tobias-L

Post by Tobias-L » Tue May 22, 2007 5:35 pm

In the meantime I checked the bug report with the latest revision available for Pocket PCs, and it worked. Not the comments moving bug nor the wrong next/prev comment bug was reproduceable.

Maybe it's related to the large documents you edit.

Are you able to send us a sample document (please ZIP it) to forum(at)softmaker.de and refer to this thread via a link? This would be very helpful for us.
Tobias Leißner
SoftMaker Software GmbH

peejay

Post by peejay » Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:35 pm

Tobias-L wrote:Are you able to send us a sample document?
I'll see what I can do.

In the meantime, I have a theory. I think the 'comments moving about' bug might only happen when you save in Word format, not TextMaker format.

I was looking through my big file to send it to you, finding examples of the comments moving about... and I realised that I was having trouble finding an example. I went back through backups to find an earlier file, and there were still no examples. Then I realised that a little while ago I stopped using Word format to save and instead started using TextMaker format (because it opens quicker - 15 seconds rather than 45 seconds). I'm not sure I've had the problem recur since using TextMaker format.

Maybe you could try to replicate the problem when saving to Word format? I will also try to send you an earlier file showing the problem.

There's definitely still the bug of the comment marker moving from marking the word to marking the space after the word when you save to Word format. And there's definitely still the bug where the next/previous comment buttons don't always go to the right place when working in continuous view. Note that this bug also appears in the Windows version (rev 465).

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k » Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:49 pm

When you were saving in Word format, which file version were you using? Word 6.0/95, Word 97, 2000, XP, 2003?
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

peejay

Post by peejay » Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:53 am

I used the file type described as "Microsoft Word XP/2003 (*.doc)".

peejay

Post by peejay » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:45 pm

Just to let you know that I've sent a sample file, showing the problems.

peejay

Post by peejay » Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:26 pm

Tomorrow it will be two months since...
Tobias-L wrote:I expect a service pack in the next few weeks.
It is also more than 8 months since I first reported bugs with comments.

Is it unfair of me to be impatient?

Any news on when there'll be a new service pack?

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k » Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:37 pm

I know that it took longer than expected, but we tried rolling in as many fixes as possible and even a new feature (OpenDocument export).

We plan to start releasing servicepacks next week, starting with Windows. The other servicepacks will then be released one after another.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

peejay

Post by peejay » Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:47 pm

Thanks, good to hear.

Sounds like I got impatient just a week too early.

peejay

Post by peejay » Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:06 pm

I haven't yet installed the new service pack, but I gather from the post on the thread about the new service pack that you haven't been able to replicate some of the comments problems. It would be helpful to know exactly which ones you haven't been able to replicate.

I was trying to replicate some of these from scratch, in case this helps, and have done so with the bug about the next/previous comment button not working. I'll forward a file which demonstrates the problem. In continuous mode, with wrap to screen on, the next/previous buttons seem to jump to random bits of the document rather than where the comment should be. Note that in the file I'm sending you, there are ten comments, with the comment "one" attached to the word "one", comment "two" attached to the word "two", etc. I did this so you know where the comments should be. I also did this to attempt to replicate the "comments moving about bug", so I'd know when comments moved, but I haven't managed to get this file to do that.

This file was created in Word 2003, the comments created in Textmaker, and then saved multiple times in Textmaker using Word 2003 format. I think the comments moving bug only happens when you save in Word 2003 format.

To repeat, I haven't installed the new service pack yet, but wanted to give you something that replicates one of the bugs I've found, in case it is one that you haven't been able to replicate and so haven't fixed.

And again to repeat, it would be extremely useful to know exactly which bugs you haven't been able to replicate, so I can try to work out how to replicate them for you.

Tobias-L

Post by Tobias-L » Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:14 pm

The comment moving bug and the prev/next button bug were not reproduceable for us. If you have some good files for us, please send the to us.
Tobias Leißner
SoftMaker Software GmbH

peejay

Post by peejay » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:43 pm

I sent a file demonstrating the next/prev comment button bug on 19 July - as mentioned in my previous post. Or are you saying that that file doesn't demonstrate the bug for you? Because it does for me - just checked again.

This is using continuous mode, by the way. Seems to work in standard mode.

peejay

Post by peejay » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:48 pm

As for the comments moving bug, I have narrowed it down to it being a problem when saving as Word XP/2003 format. For a while I've been using tmd format and not been having problems. Yesterday I did some experimenting, by saving my file multiple times as Word format, and got the problem.

I'm not prepared to send you the file because of copyright issues, but perhaps knowing it's to do with saving in Word format means you can stare at that piece of code? It may also mean that it's related to the bug where saving in Word format moves how the comment is attached to the text, so it's attached to the space between characters rather than to words. Not sure about this.

(Incidentally, could you go through the other threads and mark which ones have been fixed by the new service pack? Surely it can't be in your interest to have a forum with a bunch of bug reports left open, when you know that some of them have been fixed?)

peejay

Post by peejay » Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:23 pm

Can you tell me which, if any, of the comments bugs have been fixed in the August 2007 service pack, please?

Tobias-L

Post by Tobias-L » Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:43 pm

This bug was not yet reproduceable. The bug report is still open.
Tobias Leißner
SoftMaker Software GmbH

peejay

Post by peejay » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:04 pm

It would have been helpful had you let me know earlier that the problem was not reproduceable and I might have been able to help!

Anyway, I am about to send you some files that do, for me, consistently show the moving comments bug. Hopefully they will also do so for you, and you can track down and fix the problem.

Note that I have got the bug to happen in the Windows version as well as the Pocket PC version, so the bug is more serious than I thought. I think we can assume that all the versions have the same bug.

Please get back to me if the files don't show the problem for you.

Return to “TextMaker 2006 for Pocket PCs”