PPC Memory Management

Help for TextMaker 2006 for Pocket PCs

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

DrAT

PPC Memory Management

Post by DrAT » Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:24 am

I find low memory problems with PPCs are common and I'm always tweaking to make more available. TM is a necessarily large application and suffers low memory trouble more than some other programs so I thought I'd mention the post below.
http://mobilitytoday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11774 lists some of the tricks I use and describes some I had never though of. I've tried most of them and have far more RAM available now. I use little RAM storing applications.
The tweaks are mostly for WM2003SE devices; specifically for iPAQ hx4700s, but can be used on most WM2003SE PPCs.
When making changes like these you can mess up your PPC and lose data. Use them at your own risk. If you do try the tweaks here, make backups of everything before making any changes. It's best to have something like Pocket Plus or iLauncher installed so that you have a safe mode escape route. Backup any registry entries before altering anything.
Don't try them on a mission critical device. If you can't afford to re-load everything on your PPC, don't mess with it..
Last edited by DrAT on Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tobias-L

Post by Tobias-L » Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:12 am

I just made this thread sticky, so other people can read about how to get more free memory.
Tobias Leißner
SoftMaker Software GmbH

DrAT

Post by DrAT » Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:14 am

I carry a lot of e-mail on my PPC and the hack below saves me many Mb of memory. It moves the message store used by the built-in Messaging application in Windows Mobile.
http://mobilitytoday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12924
Note that this actually moves e-mail messages to storage memory, in addition to any attachments. WM only moves attachments to storage when the option under 'tools/options/storage' is selected.
It's probably only useful if you have lots of messsages but can release a huge chunk of memory. I have hundreds that I might need daily. It works with both WM2003SE and WM5 devices, but only frees storage memory in WM5.
As always, back everything up if you try this and don't hack your PPC if you don't have time to rebuild everything from scratch if something goes wrong.h

DrAT

Post by DrAT » Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:40 am

It is possible, in TM's preferences, to make TM close when the 'OK' button, at top right, is pressed. This isn't the default action for most PPC applications. By default, applications are minimized when OK or X is pressed, and they continue to take up memory. The OS is supposed to close these background processes when memory is needed elsewhere, but doesn't seem to be very good at this.
There are several ways to change this. My favourite is to use Pocket Plus to close an application if X is pressed and held, or to use iLauncher in a similar way. This makes it easier to make sure a program has actually closed and is not sitting in the background, wasting space. Background applications can be identified and closed from 'settings/system/memory/running programs' on the PPC.

axim

Post by axim » Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:09 pm

handyswitcher also really-closes the applications when tapping Close

DrAT

Post by DrAT » Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:25 am

axim wrote:handyswitcher also really-closes the applications when tapping Close
Thanks. I'll try it.

PPC memory management is generally fine. I think it runs into trouble with large applications such as TM because programs of this size weren't expected. I don't know for sure but it would explain what I see.

This article is interesting:
http://blogs.msdn.com/windowsmobile/arc ... Close.aspx

Return to “TextMaker 2006 for Pocket PCs”