Softmaker does not notify when two users open the same file?

Post here those questions, bug reports and suggestions for SoftMaker FreeOffice 2018 for Linux that do not fit in any of the application-specific subforums.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

Post Reply
benin
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:52 am

Softmaker does not notify when two users open the same file?

Post by benin » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:54 am

Hello I've installed softmaker on a windows machine and on a linux machine. When two users try to access the same file. either of the users weren't notified that the file is being used by the another user?

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team
Posts: 7780
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:26 am
Location: Nuremberg
Contact:

Re: Softmaker does not notify when two users open the same file?

Post by sven-l » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:29 am

Yes, the same file can only be accessed with write access by one user at a time. All other users will only have a read access.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

benin
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:52 am

Re: Softmaker does not notify when two users open the same file?

Post by benin » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:44 am

What I am saying is that the user should be notified that the file is accessed by another user ? but here it doesn't do that the file can be accessed by two users and both can write at the same time. ?

benin
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:52 am

Re: Softmaker does not notify when two users open the same file?

Post by benin » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:47 am

sven-l wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:29 am
Yes, the same file can only be accessed with write access by one user at a time. All other users will only have a read access.
Freeoffice is not creating a lock file as in MS Office or LibreOffice ?
The file is editable for both users and none are notified that the other user is working on that file. Its not giving read-only notification instead two users have write permission..
Please apologize if my English is bad. I'd try my best convey my message to the best.

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team
Posts: 2961
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2003 4:57 pm
Location: Nürnberg, Germany
Contact:

Re: Softmaker does not notify when two users open the same file?

Post by martin-k » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:00 am

Whenever we open a file in SoftMaker Office, we keep it open as long as you are editing it, so that other users will receive a warning and can open it only for reading.

Now, why that mechanism isn't working for you needs to be determined. First of all, the location where the file is stored: is it a network share? Which protocol are you using to access it? Samba? NFS? Something else? Second, which document file type did you use?

Also, I am moving this to the FreeOffice forum, since this is about FreeOffice.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

benin
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:52 am

Re: Softmaker does not notify when two users open the same file?

Post by benin » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:12 am

martin-k wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:00 am
Whenever we open a file in SoftMaker Office, we keep it open as long as you are editing it, so that other users will receive a warning and can open it only for reading.

Now, why that mechanism isn't working for you needs to be determined. First of all, the location where the file is stored: is it a network share? Which protocol are you using to access it? Samba? NFS? Something else? Second, which document file type did you use?

Also, I am moving this to the FreeOffice forum, since this is about FreeOffice.
The Files are on network file server under samba share

Server OS
Redhat 6
Samba version 3.5.10-114.el6

Client OS
Linux Mint 18.1 32bit
Ubuntu 14.04.5LTS 64bit
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit.
Document Type
Text Maker
Plan Maker
File Extensions :
*.xls
*.xlsx
*.doc
*.docx
Last edited by benin on Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team
Posts: 2961
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2003 4:57 pm
Location: Nürnberg, Germany
Contact:

Re: Softmaker does not notify when two users open the same file?

Post by martin-k » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:13 am

Have you mounted the network share to a local folder, or are you directly accessing it with smbfs:// ?
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

benin
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:52 am

Re: Softmaker does not notify when two users open the same file?

Post by benin » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:26 am

martin-k wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:13 am
Have you mounted the network share to a local folder, or are you directly accessing it with smbfs:// ?
On the windows machine I mapped it as a drive
On ubuntu I've opened via smb://serveripaddress/

benin
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:52 am

Re: Softmaker does not notify when two users open the same file?

Post by benin » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:53 am

martin-k wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:13 am
Have you mounted the network share to a local folder, or are you directly accessing it with smbfs:// ?
It would be really great if you guys could look into this whether its my fault or a bug ? Hope to see a response from you soon

Thanks

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team
Posts: 7780
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:26 am
Location: Nuremberg
Contact:

Re: Softmaker does not notify when two users open the same file?

Post by sven-l » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:40 pm

I can reproduce that issue here and will report it to the developers.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

benin
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:52 am

Re: Softmaker does not notify when two users open the same file?

Post by benin » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:02 am

sven-l wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:40 pm
I can reproduce that issue here and will report it to the developers.
Thank You very much ..

Post Reply

Return to “SoftMaker FreeOffice 2018 for Linux (General)”