Fit text to cell

Post your questions, bug reports and suggestions here for FreeOffice TextMaker 2018 for Windows

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

wbrells

Fit text to cell

Post by wbrells » Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:22 pm

I'm using a Python program to generate a DOCX file that contains a multi-page table of names and addresses. Some entries are too long to fit within a table cell so I'm (programmatically) using Word's "fit to cell" option to shrink text appropriately to make everything fit. The resulting DOCX file looks fine when I examine it with Word 2007, but with TextMaker 2018 the over-length text is not being compressed and flows over to the next line - not good! INTERESTINGLY, all is well if I read the original program-generated DOCX file with Word 2007 and then save it under a new name (but still in DOCX format). This saved file is about 25% larger than the original DOCX file but the compressed entries are now fine in both Word 2007 and in TextMaker 2018.

I'm not sure what to make of this behavior, but at least there is a workaround to get "fit to text" working in TextMaker 2018. It would be nice, though, if I did not need Word 2007 to create a file that works correctly with TextMaker. Any thoughts/comments would be welcome!

Wayne

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Fit text to cell

Post by sven-l » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:16 pm

Please attach a sample docx file or send it to forum(at)softmaker.com.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

wbrells

Post by wbrells » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:55 am

I'm sorry for not responding earlier, but it took a little time to generate a small test DOCX file with names and addresses obscured. In any case, please examine the attached DOCX file with MS Word and notice on Page 3 the fit-to-cell entries of PAT: and PHYL:. Now take a look at the same file with TextMaker and notice that those entries are "full size" and overflow the cell. However, if you save the file as a new DOCX file using MS Word that new file will:

1) Be somewhat larger
2) Will be correct when opened with TextMaker

As I mentioned, it would be convenient if TextMaker displayed the original DOCX file appropriately...

Thanks,

Wayne
Attachments
Residents-by-Address.docx
Generated by a Python program
(12.18 KiB) Downloaded 3 times

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:16 pm

Thank you! I can now reproduce that issue here and will inform the developers.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Return to “FreeOffice TextMaker 2018 for Windows”