problems with typing Polish Ź

Post your questions, bug reports and suggestions here for FreeOffice TextMaker 2018 for Windows

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

Przemek

problems with typing Polish Ź

Post by Przemek » Tue May 29, 2018 10:05 am

I wanna report that I have problems with typing Polish diacritic Ź (x + Shift + Right Alt) in TextMaker (and possibly the problem exist in other parts of the suite). I receive 017B or nothing at all. No problem with ź (not uppercase) or other Polish diacritics like ż,ć,ą,ę (ą,ę exist only in lowercase), only ź is affected. It is not used very often but one needs to type it from time to time :-)
I use Windows 7 64-bit and Windows 10 64-bit.

PS Pity that there is no Polish version of FreeOffice.

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: problems with typing Polish Ź

Post by sven-l » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:13 am

Please make sure that use a font that comes with Polish characters. Not all fonts support Polish.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Przemek

Post by Przemek » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:07 pm

The font I use is Times New Roman. TextMaker 2018 does not have any problem with reading Ż, I can also paste it. One cannot type it only.

I also checked the older versions of the word processor. The bug also exists in TextMaker 2016 (FreeOffice) but does not exist in TextMaker 2012 (SoftMaker Office). All the above were tested with Windows 10 Pro 64-bit PL.

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:32 pm

There are two problems:

1. Alt+Shift+X is predefined to convert characters from/to Unicode in SoftMaker Office.

2. But even if I remove this keyboard assignment, I still can't get SoftMaker Office to produce this character. However, the same is true of any other Windows application that I tried. I used the Polish (214) keyboard.

Which keyboard do you have installed?
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:37 pm

Ah, I found it. You use the "Polish (Programmers)" keyboard. After removing the keyboard assignment that maps Alt+Shift+X to "Convert Unicode", I was able to use that key to enter the Ź character.

However, you cannot customize the keyboard in FreeOffice TextMaker, only in the full version. We need to discuss this internally.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:01 pm

OK, here is what you have to do: Switch TextMaker to classic menus (right-click on the ribbon, choose "User interface", select one of the menu modes). Restart TextMaker. Right-click on a toolbar, choose Customize. Enter "Unicode" in the Search field, open the "Shortcut key" dropdown button and remove Ctrl+Shift+X from this command. OK. Right-click on a toolbar, select "User interface", switch back to the ribbon.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Przemek

Post by Przemek » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:36 pm

Thank you for your help.

Return to “FreeOffice TextMaker 2018 for Windows”