External applications, no browsing feature

ArnaudK
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

External applications, no browsing feature

Post by ArnaudK »

Hi !

In Textmaker, we can assign external software to view PDF, hyperlinks or EPUB. Unless I am wrong, we must copy/paste the absolute path of the external program.

I see two way to improve a little bit here :
- If the fields are blank, we stay with the default program. Where is stored the default program ? Can we at least see which one is used here ?
- If we want to select another tool, can we have a browse button to select the executable ?

Regards,
Michael Uplawski
Location: Canton Magny (previously Canton Carrouges), Orne, Normandy (previously Lower Normandy)

Re: External applications, no browsing feature

Post by Michael Uplawski »

ArnaudK wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:14 pm- If the fields are blank, we stay with the default program. Where is stored the default program ? Can we at least see which one is used here ?
Not sure, if we should ask SoftMaker to take a responsibility which is originally the one of the system administrator or system developer who provides the original routines, - e.g. in your file manager application -, to set the default application. As this is a system-wide setting, you should rather find out with the tools which are put at your disposal by the distribution that you are using.
- If we want to select another tool, can we have a browse button to select the executable ?
SoftMaker must know, in this case, which directories they should scrutinize for an application. And will you know, what each one of these files is meant for? Take a look at /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin, some directories under /usr/share, maybe /opt (where nobody will ever know what to expect there).

SoftMaker may provide buttons and I will not argue. But I need the input-field for my own absolute file-path settings. Some interesting scripts may be found in my own home-directory and others are where only you may find them... (SoftMaker being unwilling, up to now, to support terminal-applications, this may be a moot point, though).

Edit: Frenglish. Making up my own false friends again.
Hindsight is in the eye of the beholder.

Return to “TextMaker 2018 for Linux”