Printing Bug & Double Sided Printing?

vtpoet

Printing Bug & Double Sided Printing?

Post by vtpoet »

Problems I haven't been able to sort out:

1.) There doesn't seem to be a way to control double sided printing --- long vs. short edge. This setting appears inaccessible.
2.) The second appears to be a bug. When printing (and only with the first page) Softmaker seems to add extra white space to the top of the document, as if printing to A4 even when set to 8.5 x 11.
vtpoet

Re: Printing Bug & Double Sided Printing?

Post by vtpoet »

An image of the page is attached. The top and bottom margin should be the same. I've noticed this issue with all documents.
Attachments
Bad Margin.jpg
vtpoet

Post by vtpoet »

Is there some other place to report bugs?

Short of that, the workaround to this bug: Do ones writing in SO; then print with Libre Office... :roll:
sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l »

Does it work better for you if you export the file into PDF, open the PDF file with your PDF reader and print it from there?
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH
vtpoet

Post by vtpoet »

Yes. Thanks for responding.

When exported to PDF, not only does it print correctly but I can also control double sided printing -- choosing between long or short edge.

Also, the same document printed correctly using the latest Softmaker Office for WIndows 10 (same printer*). The bug seems to only affect the Linux version of SO.

(Edit) * The printer driver for Linux is provided by Brother.
sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l »

And does it work better if you print the same file with the same printer driver from LibreOffice (no PDF print)? Could you please attach the sminfo.txt (you can create this logfile via the Help=>About dialog in TextMaker)?
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH
vtpoet

Post by vtpoet »

Yes, the file prints as expected from LibreOffice. I'm speculating, but it really does look as though SO is printing to DIN A4 when set to 8.5x11 (ignoring paper size settings).

I tested and see attached.

My paper size is 8.5x11. When I set the print size to DIN A4, the document prints as though to 8.5x11. When I set the print size to 8.5x11, it prints as though to DIN A4. (The red indicates the "print setting" size at which the document was printed.) So, in other words, when I print to A4, the document prints correctly (on 8.5x11 paper).
Attachments
20180326_144255_resized.jpg
vtpoet

Post by vtpoet »

sminfo is attached. Some pathnames have been edited and/or removed.
Attachments
sminfo.txt
(791.61 KiB) Downloaded 415 times
sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l »

It seems to be same problem as discussed in the German forum:
http://forum.softmaker.de/viewtopic.php ... 39#p114139

Solution:
You need to setup a CUPS driver in your Linux which is able to print Duplex. It is not enough to setup a standard CUPS driver without duplex functionality (even if it works from the PDF Viewer). Then select this CUPS driver in the TextMaker print dialog.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH
vtpoet

Post by vtpoet »

//You need to setup a CUPS driver in your Linux which is able to print Duplex.//

:?

The driver for my Brother printer is provided by Brother. Every other piece of software in my Linux installation has no trouble with double-sided printing. Setting up a CUPS driver to print DUPLEX? That sounds like something one needed to do in 2008.

It's not even clear to me how one would go about selecting between duplex or non-duplex insofar as driver installation goes.
sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l »

There is a duplex checkbox in the print dialog. Have you already tested it with this checkbox?
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH
vtpoet

Post by vtpoet »

Yes, there's a checkbox for double-sided printing. But that's not the issue. The problem is that there's no way to control whether the document is printed on the long or short edge (Duplex Tumble or Duplex No Tumble). If I choose "Setup" from your print dialog box, that also fails to provide an option.
vtpoet

Post by vtpoet »

Attached are images of the Print Dialog Windows.
Attachments
No Option here either...
No Option here either...
No option to choose Tumble or No Tumble
No option to choose Tumble or No Tumble
sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l »

vtpoet wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 2:38 am Yes, there's a checkbox for double-sided printing. But that's not the issue. The problem is that there's no way to control whether the document is printed on the long or short edge (Duplex Tumble or Duplex No Tumble). If I choose "Setup" from your print dialog box, that also fails to provide an option.
I will open a feature request to implement the option for long or short edge.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH
vtpoet

Post by vtpoet »

Thanks Sven. :)

Return to “SoftMaker Office 2018 for Linux (General)”