Pay for software in Linux?

Suono & Computer

Pay for software in Linux?

Post by Suono & Computer »

Theoretically the Open Source (or "free software") software are freed from the slavery of the god of money ... but probably not so ... neither for you nor for the same makers of the open source world that probably bargain strange agreements with the multinationals of the god money ... So why charge a software in an operating system open sorce when their rule (obviously hypocritical) is that of free software and therefore (assumes) free even by the god of money? You disappoint me ... and I think you have disappointed many other users by proposing a paid software for an open source system ...
Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Re: Pay for software in Linux?

Post by Jossi »

Nobody is obliged to give away for free a professionally (and at a cost) developed software.
And nobody is obliged to pay for a software he or she doesn't want to pay for. But obviously many people are willing to do so, if the software is good.
For all the others, there's still LibreOffice around.
Michael Uplawski
Location: Canton Magny (previously Canton Carrouges), Orne, Normandy (previously Lower Normandy)

Post by Michael Uplawski »

Suono & Computer wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:26 am
You confuse free and free of cost. But that is not a big problem. Many people do the same. You are the freest of all and do not have to care for any of this.
Hindsight is in the eye of the beholder.
dhalgren
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Post by dhalgren »

You know, I don't use linux because it is free software, though I am very pleased that it also is free of financial cost.

I use linux because it is better in every way than the other operating systems. Yes, it is better because it is free software, and all the development that anyone wants to put into it can be and is used to make it better.

I first used Softmaker on Dream Linux (2006, I think). It was then, and continues to be, a superior product. I speak as someone who began with Windows 3.1, used Lotus, and (nearly) every other office programme out there (including the dearly departed Maxwell).

Free software, and free beer, are wonderful things, they make my life possible, but I don't object to paying for my beer once in a while, especially at the prices asked.

Yes, RMS would not approve, but... so?
vtpoet

Post by vtpoet »

I'm not disappointed. Actually, I'm grateful that Softmaker is offering their word processor on Linux. I suspect it represents a fairly small slice of their income, based on platform. If not Softmaker, I would either have to leave linux or run MS Office on Wine. And that's the dark side of "free" software. Libre Office is okay for general use, but is too buggy, has too many missing features, is too far behind its competition for serious use. The problem is that LO devs have no incentive to respond to the marketplace. I know this from experience. If I pay a developer for their work, then they're going to be responsive to me --- the marketplace --- whereas there's no incentive for an LO dev to respond to anything beyond his or her immediate interests.

The purpose of Linux isn't to be "free" as in free beer, but to provide an open source platform. It would be nice, in theory, if Softmaker Office were open source, but Red Hat is an object lesson in the downsides of open source. You get some sociopathic (in the business sense) jerk like Larry Ellison who will come along and copy your Linux Distro, bit for bit, and repackage Red Hat as Oracle Unbreakable Linux. Not only that, but he'll happily scoop up all of Red Hat's patches and not pay the fools at Red Hat (as he'd consider them) a single penny. Not only that, but because he's not just a jerk but a complete jerk, he'll undercut Red Hat's support licenses because it's not enough to just rip off Red Hat. If Softmaker were open source, they'd probably be put out of business by the likes of a Larry Ellison. He'd repackage Softmaker as Oracle Unbreakable Office, then once Softmaker was out of business, he'd charge for it or kill it off --- like Solaris.
vikingson

Post by vikingson »

I love free software. And I love software like Softmaker that is a great value for the price. Linux is more than just a free OS. Ask those guys at Redhat.
jensxxl

You disappoint me ...

Post by jensxxl »

Yeah. You disappoint me too. Keep using crappy OpenOffice. I am glad softmaker exits and I happily pay for it.

I use other commercial software too, including

- sublime (try to open an 80 MB SQL file, many, if not most editors crash
- master pdf editor

I would also consider buying
- VueScan (don't like the maker and too pricey for what it is)
- Abbyy OCR software (Consumer Linux version not available, commercial version insanely expensive)
Michael Uplawski
Location: Canton Magny (previously Canton Carrouges), Orne, Normandy (previously Lower Normandy)

Free Software can never be identified with gratuitous software. Why do you not just look-up some of those licenses on the Web or any definition of free software by one of the organisms and associations involved in their promotion...

What you can criticize in SoftMaker's way of commercializing their office-package is solely the fact that the software is “closed source” and otherwise denies you any of those liberties which make free software free software. You did not, I won't, as SoftMaker Office has never been advertised as Free Software. I do not like the way how the new Renault Clio is becoming a big car with four different buttons to control the windshield wipers. And I tell you what: I won't buy one. Nor start a discussion on the topic.

Now.., would the people who try to devour the OP alive just pause for a moment and direct their argument in the same direction from now on? You are affronting each-other but do not even get eye-contact with your opponent. Or... wait a moment.

... I'll just get me some Popcorn. Go ahead, now.
jensxxl

Post by jensxxl »

If you like Softmaker and can't afford it or don't want to spend money, they always have a free version:
http://www.freeoffice.com/en/download
Michael Uplawski

Okay, then.

Here is the statement:
Suono & Computer wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:26 am Theoretically the Open Source (or "free software") software are freed from the slavery of the god of money
And here is the answer: FALSE.
No go ahead, I am off this thread.Ω

Return to “SoftMaker Office 2018 for Linux (General)”