xlsx versus xlxm

Mike

xlsx versus xlxm

Post by Mike »

I have a document that was originally created in excel that I have subsequently been opening in Plan Maker. When I try to reopen in excel I get this message

"Excel cannot open the file "***********.xlsm" because the file format or file extension is not valid. Verify that the file is not corrupted and that the file extension matches the file format."

The file properties are showing it is showing as "xlsm". If I open it in Plan Maker and then try to save it as "xlsx" it says a file by that name already exists but shows it with extension "xlsm".

It seems as though PlanMaker wants to save it in that format [xlsm] as it probably has macros in it. But, then Excel doesn't recognize it as valid.

Is there any way to convert / save the file in a format that excel will recognize. I can use Plan Maker with this file. But if I need to share it, I'm screwed.

Help, please.

Thanks,

Mike
LanceGary

Re: xlsx versus xlxm

Post by LanceGary »

" If I open it in Plan Maker and then try to save it as "xlsx" it says a file by that name already exists but shows it with extension "xlsm"."

Save to another folder?

Lance
Mike

Post by Mike »

I'll try that. :D
Mike

Post by Mike »

Nope :(
I even tried it on a different computer (running the new PlanMaker). Same result. If I open the "xlsm" file and try to "save as" "xlsx", no matter where I save it, it saves it as "xlsm".

I'm hoping someone from SoftMaker can explain it to me. Thanks for your suggestion.

:-?
sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l »

Could you please attach a sample file or send one to forum(at)softmaker.com? Thank you!
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH
Mike

Post by Mike »

I'm attaching. Tried to "save as" "xlsx" but it tells me there is already an "xlxm" file by that name.

But if I try to open it in excel I get the message that the file format is not legit.
Attachments
Sample 2.JPG
Sample 1.JPG
martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k »

We need the actual file, not just a screenshot.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH
Mike

Post by Mike »

I cannot send you that file as it contains confidential material but I will try to remove that info and send.

Thanks,

Mike
Mike

Post by Mike »

Good news, bad news.

When I redact the file and re-save as "xlsm" it will open in Excel and Text Maker. Both are slow to do so.

However, when I redact and open the "xlsm" file in Text Maker and try to save it as "xls" it reports that the file I am trying to save already exists as an "xlsm" file as mentioned previously. That may not be a bad thing. I assume that Text Maker recognizes the file as macro-enabled and, should it be saved as "xls", data and or relationships would be impacted. Could that be true?

As Excel will now open the redacted file it's pretty much a moot point. Perhaps the original unredacted file was corrupt in some way? But, Excel still says that the original unredacted "xlsm" is not a valid file format, so I won't be able to export. But, that's not a big deal and I think I can work around that.

I haven't looked closely at what happened to the content of the file in these transitions. It had content validation rules that I haven't checked.

Thank you for your patience,

BTW, I just tried to attach the file and it says its too big. I will try to email it separately.

Mike
Mike

Post by Mike »

It's also too big to email. Can I upload it somewhere?
sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l »

Just upload the file to Dropbox or any other file hoster and send us the download link. Thank you!
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Return to “PlanMaker 2018 for Windows”