How do I automatically replace two hyphens in a row with en-dash or em-dash (0336)?

ecbritz

How do I automatically replace two hyphens in a row with en-dash or em-dash (0336)?

Post by ecbritz »

When using Textmaker 2016, I managed to set up the program so that two hyphens in a row automatically changed to en dash or em dash (Character number 0336). This sign (Character number 0336) creates a break in the structure of a sentence. E.g. "When I went to London ─ before I went to Paris ─ I paid a visit to the doctor." I have clean forgotten how to make Textmaker replace two hyphens in a row ("--") with "─" (Character 0336)! Please remind me!
Softmaker 2016 & 2018.
Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Re: How do I automatically replace two hyphens in a row with en-dash or em-dash (0336)?

Post by Jossi »

The easiest way is by creating a new SmartText entry:
You go to Insert > SmartText... and click "New...". For "Name of the new SmartText entry" you enter "--" and then you enter the en-dash or em-dash into the text field (either via the keyboard or by pasting a dash you copied before). Then "Save" and "Close". Done.

It is also possible to combine the dash with a leading and/or a trailing blank. For automatic replacement, in Tools > Options..., tab "Edit", "Expand SmartText entries" must be checked.
ecbritz

Re: How do I automatically replace two hyphens in a row with en-dash or em-dash (0336)?

Post by ecbritz »

Thanks a lot! I must have been given the same instruction when starting out with Softmaker 2016, but could not find it by searching with terms such as "hyphen", "em dash", "replace" etc., either in the Forum or in the Users Guide. Anyway, back on track with em dash!
Softmaker 2016 & 2018.

Return to “TextMaker 2018 for Windows”