How can I avoid curly quotation marks and quotation marks adapted to a certain language?

ecbritz

How can I avoid curly quotation marks and quotation marks adapted to a certain language?

Post by ecbritz »

Please look at the position and appearance of the quotation marks in the attachment. I would like to avoid such curly quotation marks and quotation marks positioned according to the writing customs of the language used for spell-checking. (In the first example, the old Dutch custom of starting a quotation at the bottom of a line of text is shown.) I prefer quotation marks to be unformatted, plain and simple, by default, i.e. look like this: ' and " . How do I avoid the automatic formatting of quotation marks ?
Attachments
Quotation marks.JPG
Last edited by ecbritz on Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Softmaker 2016 & 2018.
Robin Holt

Re: How can I avoid curly quotation marks and quotation marks adapted to a certain language?

Post by Robin Holt »

Have you turned off "Smart Quotes"? On the Edit Tab under Options, try selecting "None" in the drop down list for Smart Quotes.
ecbritz

Re: How can I avoid curly quotation marks and quotation marks adapted to a certain language?

Post by ecbritz »

Thanks very much! Switching smart quotes to "None" under Options was the solution. It seems you can apply smart quotes to an individual document by going to the Options > Edit > Smart Quotes dialog. This setting may remain active when subsequent documents are created. So before exiting (or on restarting) Textmaker, you should switch smart quotes off again.
Last edited by ecbritz on Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Softmaker 2016 & 2018.

Return to “TextMaker 2018 for Windows”