.dotx versus .tmvx for your default template -- whats the difference?

ecbritz

.dotx versus .tmvx for your default template -- whats the difference?

Post by ecbritz »

In Textmaker 2018 one can choose between a .dotx default template or a .tmvx default template. What are the implications of choosing .dotx rather than .tmvx (or the other way round) for your default template?
Softmaker 2016 & 2018.
martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: .dotx versus .tmvx for your default template -- whats the difference?

Post by martin-k »

For 99% of the users, there is no difference. TMVX is a slightly extended version of DOTX, with some SoftMaker-specific extensions for things that Word does not support – things like multi-column text inside text frames or the thickness of the separation line between text columns.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH
ecbritz

Post by ecbritz »

Thanks! It would seem a .dotx default template is better for business purposes.
Softmaker 2016 & 2018.
martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k »

For DOCX, I agree, because you can simply give the file to a business associate.

For TMVX/DOTX, it doesn't really matter because the templates stay on your hard disk. Only the resulting documents go to business associates.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH
ecbritz

Post by ecbritz »

You seem to be saying that choosing a .tmvx template for a document saved to .doc or .docx will make no difference to the fact that the document can be read and edited with MS Word. Will the extended abilities of .tmvx, if they are applied, also reflect in the MS Word-readable .doc or .docx document saved?

I've been trying to get an answer to the question if it is possible to select more than one footnote at a time, so a group of footnotes, or all footnotes in a document, can formatted or set up together. No luck up to now. I would appreciate an answer very much.
Softmaker 2016 & 2018.
martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k »

ecbritz wrote:You seem to be saying that choosing a .tmvx template for a document saved to .doc or .docx will make no difference to the fact that the document can be read and edited with MS Word.
Correct.
Will the extended abilities of .tmvx, if they are applied, also reflect in the MS Word-readable .doc or .docx document saved?
No. Saving as DOCX removes the (minor) extras.

Saving as DOC removes more stuff, since that's a really outdated format.
I've been trying to get an answer to the question if it is possible to select more than one footnote at a time, so a group of footnotes, or all footnotes in a document, can formatted or set up together. No luck up to now. I would appreciate an answer very much.
As you can imagine, releasing a new version always causes a rush of requests, by e-mail and in the forum. We are doing our best to work down that heap.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Return to “TextMaker 2018 for Windows”