Cannot Associate Files To PlanMaker Or TextMaker

BaseballBill

Cannot Associate Files To PlanMaker Or TextMaker

Post by BaseballBill »

I just upgraded from 2016 version to 2018 version and I cannot get Windows 10 to recognize PlanMaker or TextMaker as the apps that I want to use to open files.

I have gone into both and gone to Tools=>Options=>System and then clicked on the "Associate file types..." button but I'm lost as to what to do after that.

Can anybody walk me through what to do?

I didn't have this problem with the 2016 version.

Thanks.
martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Cannot Associate Files To PlanMaker Or TextMaker

Post by martin-k »

Welcome to Windows 10 ;-)

An application can no longer associate files on its own, but only ask the user to do it. When you choose "Associate file types", either a window with file associations pops up, or more likely (welcome to Windows 10!) flashes in the background. You need the taskbar to bring it to the foreground, and then you can set file associations.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH
BaseballBill

Post by BaseballBill »

Thank you for the reply but I'm still lost.

When I click onto "associate file types" in either PlanMaker or TextMaker it opens up a window that says:

Default apps
choose default apps

It then lists email, maps, music player, photo viewer, video player and web browser but nothing about files. This is where I get lost. I don't know what to do from here.

Can anyone help me please?

Thanks.
sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l »

BaseballBill wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:17 pm It then lists email, maps, music player, photo viewer, video player and web browser but nothing about files. This is where I get lost. I don't know what to do from here.
This is a Windows 10 dialog. Scroll down a bit, then click on "Choose default apps by file type". On the left you will see a list of all file types. On the right you can select your desired program for every file type.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH
mdoobov

Post by mdoobov »

I had to reinstall Soft Office 2016 when I bought a new PC (Win 10). When I try to associate file types or otherwise make TextMaker and PlanMaker my defaults to open the appropriate files, neither program is offered by Win 10 as an option. How can I get Win 10 to offer SoftOffice programs as candidate default programs?
sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l »

Usually the setup asks you during the installation. Or in Office in Tools=>Options=>System=>"Associate file types...".
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH
mdoobov

Post by mdoobov »

Thanks. I reran the install program (ofw2016) in correction mode. That resulted in an "Unable to find a valid UI language file" error, so I uninstalled the suite and reinstalled it. That seems to have done the trick.
mdoobov

Post by mdoobov »

I spoke too soon. I subsequently ran the 768 revision pak that has returned me to my origianal problem, that I cannot make Softoffice the default program for .doc, .xls, etc files.
Karstv

Post by Karstv »

mdoobov wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:23 am I spoke too soon. I subsequently ran the 768 revision pak that has returned me to my origianal problem, that I cannot make Softoffice the default program for .doc, .xls, etc files.
In the meantime you can try FileTypesMan. (making extentions default)
Here to download: https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/file_types_manager.html
mdoobov

Post by mdoobov »

I have installed FileTypesMan but it is not clear how to use it to change a filetype association.
Karstv

Post by Karstv »

mdoobov wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:28 am I have installed FileTypesMan but it is not clear how to use it to change a filetype association.
Run tekstmaker
Look for the extention on the left: .docx and push on it (not doubleclick)
Go to action on the top maybe yuou have to choose 'new
Then select from running programs
Choose tekstmaker
Hit the ok-button and it should be working

Return to “SoftMaker Office 2018 for Windows (General)”