What's new compared to 2016?

EFats

What's new compared to 2016?

Post by EFats »

Other than the ribbon and the default file format....

I was trying the beta, it seems very similar except that it takes up more than 2x the disk space.
I'm looking for compelling reasons to upgrade. Is there a list somewhere with change history or comparison?
martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: What's new compared to 2016?

Post by martin-k »

There is a lot more than just ribbons... We are preparing more detailed material, but here is a start:

viewtopic.php?f=279&t=16911
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH
martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k »

Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

If you are concerned about the size of the program you can always create a portable version of the suite with the portable creator utility (included) and save it to a folder on your HDD/SSD or else USB stick and take out the files you don't need. For example, I removed all language files except the ones I use, remove templates I don't need, etc.

The .msi installer for SMO 2018 is 400+mb but my actual (installed) program folder size is only 130mb -- only 50mb when packed with 7-Zip! -- so there is a lot of stuff in the original installer and its resulting installs that is not required for most users. It is better to try this in a portable version so that you don't botch your actual SMO 2018 install (in case you remove the wrong stuff and the program won't uninstall, etc.).

I understand SoftMaker's approach to not have the installer give a lot of customization options (as in, install certain elements or not) because it complicates things and hard disk space is not really that big of an issue anymore -- especially when compared to MS Office. But it is possible to shrink the suite's size if needed.
Image SoftMaker Office Pro 2012 Rev. 702 User

Return to “SoftMaker Office 2018 for Windows (General)”