UK spellcheck gives US spellings

Help for TextMaker 2006 for Windows

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

brigrove

UK spellcheck gives US spellings

Post by brigrove » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:01 pm

I just installed this program (didn't download any dictionary separately and don't know where to do so, but...)
According to Preferences > Language, I am already using British English for my spell checking, but it keeps telling me that colour should be color and cancelled should be canceled, which, of course, it wrong.

Can anyone help? Or is it just a bad dictionary that really has US spellings

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: UK spellcheck gives US spellings

Post by sven-l » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:03 am

Are you sure that your British dictionary is installed? Please check if the green tick appears to the left of "English (United Kingdom)" in the drop down menu in Extras=>Preferences=>Language. If the green tick does not appear, the dictionary is currently not installed. Please see our tutorial to see how to install and use dictionaries:

http://www.softmaker.com/english/flash_installdicts.htm
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:05 am

Note that what you set in Tools/Options is only the *default* language for spell-checking.

Each piece of text can still have its own language. And when you open existing Word documents, they will have some language attached to the characters in the document. To verify this, do Format/Character and check what language is set there.

Then do a Ctrl+A, Format/Character/Language=English (UK).
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

brigrove

Post by brigrove » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:09 pm

Yes when I go to extras preferences language English (United Kingdom) with a green tick to the left is shown as the default language.

The documents I am opening are from Open Office (ods files) all previously created, edited and spellchecked as English (UK), which is the default for OO on my computer.
Yet When I open it in TM it tells me the document language is English (United States).

Does this mean I have to Format - Character - then scroll right down to English (United Kingdom) for EVERY document imported from Open Office? Do I have to do Edit - Select All first?

Incidentally I saved it using Textmaker - it opened in Open Office as language English (UK).
However when I saved it again and reopened it in Textmaker, the same problem occured.

EVEN if I save it in Textmaker and then reopen it, I have to do Format - Character - select United Kingdom as it has reset itself to United States.

On another subject, every time TM opens I get an alert from my firewall that it has a screenlogger trying to get screen content. Why is this?

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:50 pm

brigrove wrote:Yes when I go to extras preferences language English (United Kingdom) with a green tick to the left is shown as the default language.

The documents I am opening are from Open Office (ods files) all previously created, edited and spellchecked as English (UK), which is the default for OO on my computer.
Yet When I open it in TM it tells me the document language is English (United States).

Does this mean I have to Format - Character - then scroll right down to English (United Kingdom) for EVERY document imported from Open Office? Do I have to do Edit - Select All first?

Incidentally I saved it using Textmaker - it opened in Open Office as language English (UK).
However when I saved it again and reopened it in Textmaker, the same problem occured.

EVEN if I save it in Textmaker and then reopen it, I have to do Format - Character - select United Kingdom as it has reset itself to United States.
Can you mail such an OpenOffice-created file to forum(at)softmaker.de referencing this thread?
brigrove wrote:On another subject, every time TM opens I get an alert from my firewall that it has a screenlogger trying to get screen content. Why is this?
I don't have the faintest idea what your firewall is trying to tell you here. Not that I would place any trust in those "personal firewalls"... :wink:
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

brigrove

Post by brigrove » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:02 am

Did you receive the document I sent you the other day as requested?
It seems that both TM and PM can't properly import Open Office odts (or spreadsheets - it gives an unknown format error) BUT if either are save as doc or xls, THEN opened in TM or PM they work perfectly
It does mean that anyone receiving an OpenOffice document or spreadsheet needs to have OpenOffice to open it and resave it in MS format BEFORE opening it in TM2006 or PM2006.
However it IS possible to open an odt document directly in TM, you just won't have the correct spellcheck, but for reading it's fine (and I do a lot of that).

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:52 am

We've already answered this via mail.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Return to “TextMaker 2006 for Windows”