Discontinuity Between Frame Size and Grid Size

Help for TextMaker 2006 for Windows

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

RKanarek

Discontinuity Between Frame Size and Grid Size

Post by RKanarek » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:16 am

Greetings,

I don’t know if I’ve discovered a bug, or if I’m just confused. Perhaps someone can enlighten me.

I was composing a document with the background grid visible & snapable. I drew (for test purposes) a Text Frame, and set its dimensions (via “Properties” -> “Format”) to precisely 2.000 inches, “fixed.” text frame. The grid spacing was set for 0.2 inches. It seems to me that the text frame should have precisely coincided with the corresponding grid lines, since 2.000 is evenly divisible by 0.2 (and you Germans thought you were the only ones good a math! ;-)). Unfortunately, this did not happen. I then drew a text frame to precisely 2.000 inches, this time using the grid lines a ruler. Even though it appears slightly smaller than the other text frame, “Properties” -> “Format” reports that each is exactly 2 inches.

Cordially,
Richard Kanarek

P.S. Although I *hate* bugs, I must confess to being quite pleased with your software. As part of my latest adventure, I had to use Planmaker as well as Textmaker, and consult each one’s documentation. They were all great -- even the English documentation! -- but you can do better! ;-)
Attachments
Frame Problem.png
Frame Problem - Right Frame Properties.png
Frame Problem - Right Frame Properties.png (9.18 KiB) Viewed 2413 times
Frame Problem - Left Frame Properties.png
Frame Problem - Left Frame Properties.png (10.45 KiB) Viewed 2413 times

Tobias-L

Re: Discontinuity Between Frame Size and Grid Size

Post by Tobias-L » Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:18 am

Please attach this sample file, too. Maybe a text frame has a thicker border or some other options set, which make them appear differently.
Tobias Leißner
SoftMaker Software GmbH

RKanarek

Post by RKanarek » Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:36 pm

Dear Mr. Leißner,

Thanks for the very prompt reply!

I attempted to attach the *.tmd file, but the forum software would not permit it. I have just tired attaching the same file, this time compressed in a Zip (tm) archive; the forum software seems okay with it.

Cordially,
Richard Kanarek
Attachments
TextMaker Frame-Grid Problem -1.zip
(3.52 KiB) Downloaded 204 times

Tobias-L

Post by Tobias-L » Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:55 pm

At least for me the size is different. Please see my screenshots (in cm instead of in).
Attachments
screenshot2.png
Size is different!
screenshot1.png
Tobias Leißner
SoftMaker Software GmbH

RKanarek

Post by RKanarek » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:51 pm

Dear Mr. Leißner,

Thanks again for the support!

Even though the grid spacing said it was 0.2 inches, it apparently wasn’t. When I re-entered 0.2 inches into the horizontal and vertical spacing boxes (Object -> Guides & Grid-> ...) it moved! (I actually recorded this using ScreenCam; if you’re extremely board, I can send you the 1Mb Zipped AVI file ;-)

Thanks again!

Cordially,
Richard Kanarek

Tobias-L

Post by Tobias-L » Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:11 pm

Yes of course, please send us the 1 MB zipped AVI file to forum(at)softmaker.de and refer to this thread via a link.
Tobias Leißner
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Return to “TextMaker 2006 for Windows”