Database/bibliography feature

Help for TextMaker 2006 for Windows

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

mtolincoln

Database/bibliography feature

Post by mtolincoln » Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:04 pm

I am trying to use TextMaker's bibliography feature, but can't get anything to happen when I try to generate a bibliography from references in a document. Here's what I'm doing. I created a "Freud Refs.dbf" file with a citation abbreviation, and author, year, title, and publisher fields. I entered citation abbreviations in the document, using for example {Freud, 1900a} as the citation abbreviation. Nothing happens. Any clues here on what might be going wrong?

The help file doesn't seem too complete on this aspect of the program.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.
Mike O'Brien
Lincoln, MA
USA

Tobias-L

Post by Tobias-L » Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:24 am

We can take a look at your document and database. Please zip/rar the files and send them to forum(at)softmaker.de
Additionally, please add a reference/link to this thread, so we can see what you are talking about.
Tobias Leißner
SoftMaker Software GmbH

mtolincoln

Found Solution to Database/Bibliography problem

Post by mtolincoln » Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:54 am

I think I found out why I hadn't gotten a bibliography from references included in my file. The problem I had wasn't with the program, apparently, but with the documentation of the feature not being helpful enough. I found for example that in entering references I can't just type them in, but have to go thru the menu for inserting a field. The latter inserts additional necessary information, apparently, than what appears to the eye.

Secondly, I believe I have to be using a .tmd file format. I had been using a .doc format, and there I didn't get the generate bibliography feature to function.

I'm wondering now, on a new aspect of using the feature, can one set defaults that will be retained for such features as font size, field formats, etc., as one would with document styles? I find I have to reset everything each time I use the bibliography feature, and would like to have it remember my selections and preferences.

Thanks.
Mike O'Brien
Lincoln, MA
USA

Tobias-L

Re: Found Solution to Database/Bibliography problem

Post by Tobias-L » Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:09 pm

mtolincoln wrote:I'm wondering now, on a new aspect of using the feature, can one set defaults that will be retained for such features as font size, field formats, etc., as one would with document styles? I find I have to reset everything each time I use the bibliography feature, and would like to have it remember my selections and preferences.
Thanks, I just forwarded your suggestion to the developers.
Tobias Leißner
SoftMaker Software GmbH

noticias4mis

Re: Database/bibliography feature

Post by noticias4mis » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:28 am

I know this is an old thread but I'm starting a large document and the bibliographic feature is a bit mysterious. I am hopeful that somehow:

1. One can choose what the default method of handling references, e.g. APA, MLS, AMA, etc
2. That a dialog box can pop up and I can type in the reference. OR a utility can read a text, (CSV ? ) file that can load some internal reference database and then we could insert into the text by a pick list (or other kind of list).
3. That when I change the font of the text, that the font font of the bibliography will also change.

Thanks.

jimjutte
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Post by jimjutte » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:32 am

I don't know if this is something that will apply to you, but there is currently the beta for 2010 out. I don't use 2006 anymore, but you might consider looking at the beta.

As to the issue. Are you asking for advice on how to proceed? or are you asking for a feature in 2006?
Cheers
Jim

noticias4mis

Post by noticias4mis » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:35 am

I am new to this forum and wanted to ask how to use the biblio feature in TM 2008 and to add to 2010 if need be. Sorry for the confusion.

From my pda
Richard

jimjutte
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Post by jimjutte » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:41 am

No worries...

So you are currently using 2008 and want to find the beta for 2010? If you can give me a few minutes, I'll see if I can find the link. It is actually posted somewhere in the forum.

It is actually on the German side, I believe, but you just switch the language to English and away you go. As to setting it up... let's see what software you need to use first.
Cheers
Jim

jimjutte
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Post by jimjutte » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:49 am

Hi Richard...

Try this...

http://www.softmaker.com/english/ofw10betareg_en.htm

If I am wrong, Sven or Martin will see this and pick up on it shortly.
Cheers
Jim

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:17 am

noticias4mis wrote:I am new to this forum and wanted to ask how to use the biblio feature in TM 2008 and to add to 2010 if need be. Sorry for the confusion.

From my pda
Richard
According to the manual (just invoke 'Help' in TextMaker):

In the appendices to scientific literature you often find a bibliography. This is a reference list of all the publications to which the author refers in the work.

TextMaker has functions that you can use to make working with bibliographies much easier.

These functions are best applied step by step as follows:

Step 1: First of all, you need a bibliography database. There, you enter all your cited sources. You can use an existing database (an example is included with the program) or set up a new one with Tools > Create Database.

The database can be organized any way you like, except that it must always include a field for a "shortcut" (abbreviation) that can serve as a unique reference for each source, and also fields for the author and title of each source.

Step 2: Next, invoke Tools > Bibliography > Bibliography Settings and click on the File button to assign your database to the document as a bibliography database. Then select those fields of your database that are to serve respectively as the Reference Field, Author Field and Title Field for the creation of the bibliography.

Step 3: Now you can invoke Tools > Bibliography > Insert Bibliography Field to insert references to the sources contained in the bibliography database into the text (for example, "As mentioned in [DNA1979] ...").

Step 4: Finally, invoke Tools > Bibliography > Generate Bibliography to have TextMaker create a bibliography at the end of the document. The bibliography will contain a list of all the sources to which you inserted references in the text (see step 3). Each source listing will be based on the corresponding record in the bibliography database.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Return to “TextMaker 2006 for Windows”