Question about SMO 2018 activation method

Post here those questions, bug reports and suggestions for SoftMaker Office 2018 for Windows that do not fit in any of the application-specific subforums.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

Patrick

Question about SMO 2018 activation method

Post by Patrick » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:52 pm

Hi,

My question is whether SMO 2018 uses the same activation method as used since SMO 2016. SMO 2016 did not allow me to use the portable option of SMO without activating it on a PC I would use it on, making the portable option useless (unless you're already using it on an activated system). But then I only want to use the portable option because it's much smaller and *portable* and I can pre-configure its settings for direct use. Since I almost only use the word processor I, at the time, opted for a different word processor because I did not want to contend with SMO 2016 activation. I was hoping there was a change regarding activation method (like offline, local activation). I can't very well ask you guys to update the filters for SMO 2012 (which I have a license for) so here's me begging again after 2 or 3 years :)

Thank you!
Image SoftMaker Office Pro 2012 Rev. 702 User

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Question about SMO 2018 activation method

Post by martin-k » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:55 pm

The licensing system is the same as in SoftMaker Office 2016.

The procedure for activating on a USB stick (again, both for 2016 and 2018):

1. Install on your PC.
2. Install on the USB stick with our tool.
3. Run once from the USB stick. You might have to enter your product key once.

This "binds" the software to the USB stick, and you can take the stick to another PC.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Patrick

Post by Patrick » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:46 am

Thanks, Martin.

Yes, I remember this. I used the portable version (2010, 2012) from various drives, some even virtual, so tying the activation to one particular physical device is not very feasible to me. I repack the portable (I do this now with Atlantis Word instead) and write any needed files (activation included) to required locations in Windows where I cannot use a portable option. But despite all my unattended install skills the hardware tie of SMO 2106/2018 makes it not possible for me to use the same saved version of SMO even on a OS re-install on my same PC (let alone on different hardware). I found that very limiting but I understand my usage is "unusual". But yeah I'm not going to run a word processor off a USB stick, sorry. After a Windows reinstall or on a different system I used to be able to double-click my saved portable as an sfx installer (with shortcuts) and literally within 2 seconds SMO would be installed AND activated. I could include the files I wanted and had a sfx installer for portable SMO that would be around 20mb (instead of a 300+mb installer). But this changed with the 2016 activation scheme which is basically based on hardware (device) id. I understand why it's used but I hate hardware-dependent software activation. The only thing worse is subscription software and fortunately SMO isn't that. OK, I know what I need to know then, thanks.

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:14 am

As a home user, you have the right to install SoftMaker Office 2018 on up to 5 PCs of the same household. If you re-install the operating system without changing your hardware, this doesn't "eat" one of the license slots on the licensing server, of which there are more than advertised, in order to cater for hardware changes. If you still manage to run out of activations, we can reset your license upon e-mail to our tech support.

If that still isn't sufficient, then I wouldn't know how I could help you.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Patrick

Post by Patrick » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:00 pm

I will definitely consider this, Martin, and I think your provisions and suggestions are more than reasonable and certainly more than most software companies will provide. Thank you, I appreciate it!

arisg

Post by arisg » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:17 am

Wouldn't it be easier to allow users to reset their license count through an online portal rather than having to send an email to your support team?

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:01 am

One could imagine such a system, but right now, it simply "works" for nearly every user without any complications. The "e-mail us" is just the fall-back which needs to be invoked extremely rarely.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Return to “Beta: SoftMaker Office 2018 for Windows (General)”