Dark interface doesn't follow system's dark theme.

Post here those questions, bug reports and suggestions for SoftMaker Office 2018 for Windows that do not fit in any of the application-specific subforums.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

mfran1

Dark interface doesn't follow system's dark theme.

Post by mfran1 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:24 pm

I like the new ribbon interface quite much and the new version looks to be good so far. But my Win 10 is set to dark theme and SM Office 2018 Beta doesn't follow it at all. Window border is white, icons on ribbon look washed out, there's a mixture of light and dark theme everywhere. It looks strange.

I'm attaching a screenshot.

BR,
Marijan
Screenshot (1).png

Patrick

Re: Dark interface doesn't follow system's dark theme.

Post by Patrick » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:20 pm

That's not because you're using a Win10 dark theme, the icons look washed out regardless as I pointed out here: viewtopic.php?f=279&t=17078

I use Win7 myself and it's the same problem. The icons also look too small. Kind of has that FlexiPDF/Inceni PDF look -- icons too small, non-Windows looking UI. Icons aren't bright enough either. What is needs it bigger, brighter icons.

Please fix this, SoftMaker Team. SMO 2016 has larger and brighter icons, it's better.
Image SoftMaker Office Pro 2012 Rev. 702 User

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:26 pm

We won't return to the 2016 icons, but we will improve the contrast in the dark theme.

If the icons are too small, you can use touch mode (with ribbons) or large icons (with toolbars).
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Patrick

Post by Patrick » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:07 pm

Thanks for improving contrast.

As for icon size, please, whatever the team does, let it not be too small and too big as the only two options. Consider, reconsider until it's right. It needs to be relative to Windows UI standards and the size of toolbars etc in the program itself. I know it's tempting to over-simplify in these times of flat-ui-hell that Microsoft has put us in since Win8, but countless hours and research went into contrast, size, fluidity of use for Vista/Win7 and even XP and before. It seems everyone is just losing all that knowledgenow (not talking about SoftMaker, just in general). It can be done well, but it hardly ever is.

Interesting you brought up the "well you can use touch icons" which has been my complaint about Win8 and 10, in that this whole decision to go with flat, definition-less UI's was dictated by touch OS and its crappy early hardware that couldn't run a resource-hungry UI -- so that now we are now stuck with flat UI's even though the hardware has improved. But the latter is a Microsoft rant.
Image SoftMaker Office Pro 2012 Rev. 702 User

Return to “Beta: SoftMaker Office 2018 for Windows (General)”