Setup: Why download and install Thunderbird every time?

Post here those questions, bug reports and suggestions for SoftMaker Office 2018 for Windows that do not fit in any of the application-specific subforums.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

sergek

Setup: Why download and install Thunderbird every time?

Post by sergek » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:13 pm

I have already installed Thunderbird in my Windows 7.

However, every installation of SoftMaker Office 2018 Beta downloads and installs Thunderbird again.

So it was installed three times.

I think the installation engine should check if Thunderbird is already installed. And don't install it again.

And ask if I need to update Thunderbird menu settings. I may want to preserve my own configuration.

rayalström

Re: Setup: Why download and install Thunderbird every time?

Post by rayalström » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:26 pm

I'd like to add the Thunderbird suggestion to the features wish list. While I understand SoftMaker wanting to introduce its products to new users, I think during 2018's download/install that Thunderbird should be presented as an option. I'm a long time Thunderbird user. Had I not chosen the custom feature during install, I would not have seen the Thunderbird option. Since the boxes are automatically ticked to download/install, I would've had two installs of Thunderbird.

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:30 pm

This is not what happens. During the setup, the stock Thunderbird setup is executed. If Thunderbird is there, then the installation is simply updated. You don't get two installs. And if the version of the installed Thunderbird does not match, a warning message is shown, prompting the user to decide what he or she wants.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

rayalström

Post by rayalström » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:06 pm

Martin, Thank you for the quick response. Let me quickly relate my SM2018 install experience. I've been using the standard non-SoftMaker version of Thunderbird. I've been wanting to update to the SoftMaker modified version, but I didn't want to lose my customization. After reading your reply a few minutes ago, I launched the SM2018 installer, clicked on the Change button and ticked the boxes to install Thunderbird and add-ons. The install module modified my version of Thunderbird successfully without losing my existing Thunderbird settings. However, I unticked the boxes for TextMaker, PlanMaker, Presentations and BasicMaker since they were already installed. Without any prompts asking if I was sure that I wanted to uninstall these modules, the installer uninstalled them automatically as part of the Thunderbird install. After the Thunderbird install, I had to relaunch the installer and choose Change then tick the boxes to install TextMaker, PlanMaker, Presentations & BasicMaker. I was hesitant to do so, because I was afraid Thunderbird would get uninstalled (I left the Thunderbird boxes ticked). Luckily, TM, PM, Presentations & BM re-installed successfully and Thunderbird remained untouched with all the SoftMaker features intact. I don't consider any of this to be a "bug", however a little clarity in the Repair, Change and Remove section might have helped. Other than that, I have experiences no problems with the install itself or launching and running SM2018. BTW, I used Ashampoo Uninstaller v6 to log my SoftMaker 2018 install and experienced no issues. Danke schön!

sibble-comp

Post by sibble-comp » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:44 am

Martin, I've just installed that latest 2018 beta on a win7 machine which already had Tbird installed. I did choose custom and other than changing the default install location and filetype mappings, left everything else the same. Iooked over at one point and saw it saying it was downloading installed Thunderbird. It doesn't appear to have created a second install, but I think the installer should be smart enough not to download the TBird installer if the app is already installed on the computer.
This is not what happens. During the setup, the stock Thunderbird setup is executed. If Thunderbird is there, then the installation is simply updated. You don't get two installs. And if the version of the installed Thunderbird does not match, a warning message is shown, prompting the user to decide what he or she wants.

Return to “Beta: SoftMaker Office 2018 for Windows (General)”