Configuring scanner options?

Post your questions, bug reports and suggestions here for FlexiPDF 2017

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

wbrells

Configuring scanner options?

Post by wbrells » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:11 pm

I've been testing the option of creating a PDF document via scanning. The basic process seems to work, but I'm concerned that there doesn't seem any way to control scanner options such as resolution, color/B&W mode, image brightness/contrast, etc. The default appears to be for scanning in color, which isn't really appropriate for b&w text documents. Probably as a result of this default, text documents come out with an unattractive gray background (and are, I imagine, much larger than necessary).

Does anyone know if there is way of adjusting scanner parameters? (I'm using a Canon 8800F flatbed scanner, in case that matters).

Many thanks!

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Configuring scanner options?

Post by sven-l » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:02 pm

Are you trying to scan via TWAIN or WIA?
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

wbrells

Post by wbrells » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:23 pm

I'm using the WIA interface. For some reason the TWAIN interface gives an error message saying that the program cannot communicate with the scanner...

It would certainly seem more flexible if FlexiPDF could be used to OCR a file that had been previously scanned by some other program. Is this a feature that is likely to be available at some point?

Thanks,
Wayne

wbrells

Post by wbrells » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:39 pm

SORRY - I just recalled that OCRing of (for example) a JPG file is available, but the problem with that approach is there doesn't appear any way in FlexiPDF to straighten/cleanup the image before OCRing it. I gather that the scanner approach in FlexiPDF will do such straightening, etc., which is what initially prompted my question about scanner options. The bottom line is that FlexiPDF needs an option to straighten/cleanup a file before it is OCRed... (Perhaps this option is available, but I haven't been able to find it!)

Wayne

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:41 pm

According to the developers:
Our OCR mechanism will straighten scanned objects.

We've tested it on a document where the image is rotated by around 7-9 degrees and it did straighten the resulting objects.

If the resulting objects do not get straightened by our OCR mechanism, you can use the "Obeject Select" (Arrow) tool to select the object and then use the "Rotate" tool to rotate the image before using the OCR mechanism.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

wbrells

Post by wbrells » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:32 pm

I've done a bit a testing and found that the OCR option does, indeed, straighten an image. Unfortunately, as can be seen in the attached PDF file, the "corrected" image appears on a gray background canvas - not very attractive. I do not see this behavior with Adobe Acrobat - please see the two attached PDF files for a comparison.... Wayne
Attachments
CrookedScan-FlexiPDF.pdf
(462.08 KiB) Downloaded 29 times
CrookedScan-Acrobat.pdf
(609.35 KiB) Downloaded 37 times

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:49 pm

I will report this to the developers. Thank you!
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

styrobrain

Post by styrobrain » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:54 pm

I don't see the original question answered yet. Thus, is there a way of adjusting scanner parameters?

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:34 pm

Yes, but have to make sure to use TWAIN, not WIA.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Return to “FlexiPDF 2017”