Translate export

Post your questions, bug reports and suggestions here for FlexiPDF 2017

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

victorlage

Translate export

Post by victorlage » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:36 pm

Greetings,

I have been using the FlexiPDF Document -> translate tool to export test to make XML files for export-import into CAT tools and then import back into translated PDF. However, I would like your help on some issues.

1 - Sometimes special letters get inadequately conversion such as: [2] -> x2w; ä -: either ¨a or a¨, ü -> either ¨u or u¨, and some other strange transformations like with greek characters for "alpha", "beta" etc. Can something be made about that?

2 - Sometimes the segments of the phrases are cut and come out of order or out of context such as would be in (example)

" FlexiPDF is a software that is able to (...) - segment

(...) Softmaker sells also other software (...) segment

(...) (...)

(...) (...)

(...) directly edit pdf files.

(...) (...)

(...) (...)

Thank you for your time.

Temcat

Re: Translate export

Post by Temcat » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:55 am

Your issue No.2 may be related to a couple of things. Firstly, sometimes what looks like a single textbox is in fact several overlapping ones. The PDF file needs to be checked thoroughly (and corrected if necessary) before export. Secondly, a PDF file knows nothing about context, unlike word processor files like DOCX or RTF. To restore that context, heuristics are used which aren't 100% reliable. FlexiPDF has a feature called article threads that I believe can help you specify the exact order of text flow.

I'm just a user though, and not very experienced at that, so I may be mistaken about some things, especially the article threads part.

victorlage

Re: Translate export

Post by victorlage » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:09 pm

Acknowledged, I have tried that also. Reviewing the PDF and merging some textboxes, thus generating a new PDF for the import <-> export operation does result in some improvement.

Return to “FlexiPDF 2017”