Spell checking

Post your questions, bug reports and suggestions here for FreeOffice TextMaker 2016 for Linux

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

Ralph

Spell checking

Post by Ralph » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:39 pm

Spell checking isn't catching misspellings. It gave a pass to both icicles and iciles. I used tools - spell check to activate spell checking. I sometimes type articles for my wife for her blog. I copy to Thunderbird and email the article to her. Thunderbird caught the mistake. Spell checking is working. It caught most mistakes. I just can't trust it. It doesn't seem to caught ALL mistakes.Any suggestions? Oh, it may be a language thing. It thinks "blog" is misspelled in this post.

Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Re: Spell checking

Post by Jossi » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:50 am

The full version of SoftMaker Office marks "iciles" correctly as error. IIRC the free version makes use of Hunspell dictionaries which are not maintained by SoftMaker, whereas the full version has its own commercial dictionaries.

Ralph

Post by Ralph » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:27 pm

Thank you for your timely reply. It is much appreciated.

I guess I was viewing TextMaker in the wrong sense. I was viewing it as a limited edition with features missing, but still a functioning program. "Try it out and, if you like what you see, upgrade to the full featured and functioning commercial version." From my limited usage, I was, and am, backing away from my initial praise for your product. I can't justify daily use. I can't trust sending correspondence that may have misspellings. I didn't like everything in TextMaker, but I saw promise and was looking to probably order the full version. In a full version, I can probably go into options and change what I don't like. But this product doesn't have my trust. I can not justify wasting money on a product that does not work as I expect. Also, I tried composing an email in TextMaker and then copying it over into Thunderbird. I lost a lot of formatting. I have just about totally quit testing this product because of problems of usability. The end product is just not usable. Confidence level on Textmaker (and hence, your commercial products) is down to 10% to 20%. I have to run anything in TextMaker through Thunderbird to do spell checking. The one document I did, I spent more time correcting the document than it took to compose it. Bad form there.

In short, I liked what I initially saw. I was making plans to purchase the upgrade. I would have liked to have upgraded. But, the more I used it, the more dysfunctional I saw the product. My confidence in composing a post here is 98+% or higher. It is much higher than in TextMaker. And TextMaker is your gateway to my making a purchase. If I had to choose between LibreOffice or OpenOffice in Linux, install Windows and then Word Or Office, or SoftMaker, that would be the order of my choices. And, no way am I installing Windows! From my testing, you are third choice. You went from first choice to last choice.

Again, I really do appreciate your time. My initial impression was VERY positive. I just wish your product could have kept my enthusiasm. Heck, I misspelled that and it was caught. TextMaker would probably not have caught it. Too bad. Again, thank you, very much.

Ralph

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:34 pm

I am not sure I can follow what you are trying to say. One of the limitations of FreeOffice is that it uses spelling dictionaries from the open-source project Hunspell. The commercial version includes commercial dictionaries which are of higher quality. The open-source dictionaries have not been created by us, but by the community, and they are used in many open-source products (incidentally also in OpenOffice, since you mentioned that).

Jossi already commented that our commercial dictionary correctly flags "iciles" as an error. So if that is your problem, it will go away by using the commercial version.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Ralph

Post by Ralph » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:06 pm

I do not know how the commercial version will work. I only know how FreeOffice works. And it doesn't. My use of FreeOffice says to not trust the commercial version. FreeOffice should encourage me to purchase the commercial version. Just the opposite is happening. FreeOffice tells me the commercial version is not worth my time. It says to not waste my money. FreeOffice should give me confidence in the commercial version. It doesn't. It puts up warning/beware signs. It tells me to be cautious. It tells me to be careful with my money. I can not purchase something I have no confidence in. Until FreeOffice, I had not heard of SoftMaker. I wanted to go this direction. FreeOffice said for me to not go this way.

I am not angry. I am more sorrowful. This was a direction I wanted to take. But I can not. I am stopped. Maybe it is a language thing and I am not expressing myself well. Maybe it is a marketing difference between us and our methods and expectations. I truly do wish it could have been different. I am responding to try to help you, not to vent. I really do wish you success. I just don't see a path in the near term. SoftMaker may be (and probably is) a great product. I don't have any knowledge or guidance to show that to me. FreeMaker failed dismally to open the door to SoftMaker for me.

Ralph

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:14 pm

Are we really having this discussion about a single mistyped word that the spell checker (which is not even ours and which is used in many open-source products) failed to discover?

I just wanted to let you know that we also offer a free 30-day trial version here: http://www.softmaker.com/en/softmaker-o ... x-download

The trial version includes our commercial dictionaries.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Ralph

Post by Ralph » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:10 pm

We are having this discussion over several misspelled words. We are using one, as an example. I had numerous misspellings caught by Thunderbird instead of FreeMaker. I had formatting transfer problems, also. I am presently using LibreOffice. I don't have the problems with spelling or transfer there. I just liked the layout and looks of FreeOffice better.

Again, thank you for your time and response. And, an even bigger thank you for the link. I had not seen that before. I will have to reverse and try the link. That raises my spirits and encourages me. I will have to try that out.

And those dictionaries, they may not be yours, but they do reflect upon your product. Adversely. You are trying to sell your product, not someone else's product. You need to have your product looking good. I really don't care about the source of the dictionaries, or any other part of the product. or who else might be using something. As a consumer, I just look at the end product. In total. Not the sources in that product. If I buy a Mercedes, I don't care if there are Rolls-Royce parts or Tata parts in it. I just want it to work and look good. Maybe a poor analogy, but Mercedes doesn't taunt the sources of its parts, but the end product. And FreeOffice reflected poorly on SoftMaker's commercial products.

I am just one consumer. I am trying to help you to see what I consider a roadblock to additional sales for you. I am speaking up, to you. How many other potential customers just moved on to something else. That is lost sales for you. Please overlook a poor ambassador or spokesperson, look at what I see as a problem your company has. I am a nobody. I am insignificant. It is my hope that this perspective can help improve your sales. I can continue to survive with LibreOffice. How many of us can you lose and still survive? I hope that link has salvaged a sale for you.

I haven't thought about this, but I will go ahead and say it: I would suggest (from my experience) that you drop, bury, forget about FreeOffice. Make use of that link for SoftMaker. Loudly, to all corners of the Earth. Taunt the trial version. After 30 days, people will upgrade, or totally forget the entire product line. In my case, I was walking away. No sale for you. The 30 day trial is a redeemer for you. I will now start over. I am very busy for the next week or two. But then, I will go to the link and try the trial version. If it works out, I hope to give you a sale you had lost. In 30 days, I will purchase or forever forget this experiment. A trial version will make a lot more sales than a failed version. The FreeMaker is like test driving a Yugo car to decide if you want to purchase a Mercedes. How many lost sales can your company afford? Above our pay grade, but I hope someone sees the folly of the present path.

Again, the SoftMaker link is much appreciated. Thanks.

Ralph

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:04 am

Sometimes it pays to go back to the original question and check if the premises discussed there can actually be reproduced.

And that's what I did. I ran FreeOffice TextMaker for Linux, set my spell-checking language to English, activated background spell checking, typed "iciles" and, voilà, it was flagged as an error. "icicles" passed.

So, this is not a problem of the spell checker or the dictionary. Things you need to check:

1. Is the background spell checker activated at all in Tools/Options/Language?
2. Is the document formatted in English (see the status bar for the current language)?

If you feel you set everything correctly and "iciles" is still not flagged, please upload the document here.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Ralph

Post by Ralph » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:08 pm

Mr. Kotulla, thank you for your kind reply. I am impressed with your perseverance. Just so you understand: I am giving up on TextMaker. I am going to move on to Softmaker commercial (providing it works out). I still need to test drive it.

With that said, I want TextMaker to work and pull more people to SoftMaker Commercial. I feel the Linux community needs companies like yours. And we need you to succeed. My problem may well be me and/or my computer. I will now continue on to your requests.

Tools/Options/Language - It looks like there are 17 dictionaries. They go from Byelorussian to Ukrainian. English (United States) is the third one.

Question: Are there too many dictionaries? Could there be two spellings in the various dictionaries? To me, it looks like all 17 dictionaries are in use. I see no way to reduce the unnecessary dictionaries.

Observation: I clicked on English (United States). It highlighted. I clicked "OK". The "Dictionaries" window stayed open and it went back to highlighting "Byelorussian". I clicked "OK" again. "Dictionaries" stayed open. I clicked "Cancel". "Dictionaries" stayed open. I tried this several times. The "Dictionaries" window never closes. I click the "X" in the top right. There are several "Dictionaries" windows that are on top of each other. One after another, I end up closing them by clicking the "X". I finally end up back at "Options". The windows were aligned. You could not tell there were more windows underneath until you finally closed all the "Dictionaries".

Options: The default language is listed as English (United States).

Confusion here now: As a recheck, In Options: Automatic Spell-checking, I clicked "Hunspell dictionaries". It went back to the same "Dictionaries" window. I clicked "Cancel" and the window closed. I went back to "Hunspell dictionaries" again from options. I clicked "English (United States) and it highlighted. I clicked "OK" and it closed. Unlike the first time when it would not close. I just now closed everything and went to tools: options: languages: English (United States): OK. Unlike the first time, it closed. I will now guess: the first time through, I did not look at the windows. I just went Tools: options: languages. And then I looked. I do not know what default language was listed in options. English (United Sates) may not have been the default language. During installation, I think it asked for my default language (or it picked it up from Linux). I was under the impression that English (United States) was the default language. It may not have been. But I saw nothing to say it was not the default language. I don't remember being asked to set dictionaries to English (United States).

document formatted in English? - At the bottom of the screen, it lists "English (United". I can not say for sure what was there before doing the above. I can not say what was there before. I can only say that nothing had caught my eye as odd during prior uses.

I just highlighted your post " by martin-k » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:04 am " and cut and pasted your post into TextMaker. I clicked tools: spell checking. It came up "No misspelled words detected". I pressed F7. Again, it came up "No misspelled words detected". Below are two lines from your post that it passed:

activated background spell checking, typed "iciles" and, voilà, it was flagged as an error. "icicles" passed.
set everything correctly and "iciles" is still not flagged

As a side note, this post picks it up as misspelled, in both lines. TextMaker did not. I hope this can give you an idea of what I am seeing.

You asked me to upload the document. I am not sure of how to do what you ask. If you will bear with me and provide instructions for what you want, I'll do my best to comply.

I do hope this helps. If there is anything I can help with, please let me know.

Ralph

PS: I am running late this morning. I need to get outside and plant and stake some fruit trees. I'll try to get back in and check these posts as I can. Again, thank you.

Ralph

Post by Ralph » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:47 pm

Info for you before I leave:

I am using: SoftMaker FreeOffice TextMaker (rev 759.0710) on Rosa Linux as ROSA Desktop Fresh R8. My laptop is an ASUS U56E with 640 GB hard drive.

Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Post by Jossi » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:41 am

Please open the document you pasted martin-k's post into and "iciles" was not flagged as an error (or recreate it).
Select all (Ctrl+A).
Go to Format > Character... and look up what the field "Language" says. If it is "Default", click OK. If not, choose "Default" as language, then click OK.
Go to Tools > Options..., tab "Language". Set "Default language" to "English (United States)" (or whatever language you want as default).
If "Use Background spell-checking" is not checked, check it.
Click "Hunspell dictionaries" and make sure that "English (United States)" (or whatever your default language is) is present.
Close the dialogue box (OK/OK).

Is "iciles" now underlined red?

Ralph

Post by Ralph » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:30 pm

Good morning (for me) Jossi. It is good to hear from you again. Thanks for your response. I'll try to follow your instructions.

Format > Character... It was "Default". I changed nothing and clicked "OK".

Tools > Options... Default language was already set to "English (United States)". I had to check "Use background spell-checking".

"Hunspell dictionaries" Today, there 17 dictionaries. "English (United States)" is the third one listed.

Is "iciles" now underlined red? Yes, it is!!! Like I had said before, I suspected it would be me or my laptop. It was me. Mr. Kotulla even mentioned that he "activated background spell checking". I had overlooked his saying that. I can't be sure, but I think I had checked it and I had not seen any difference. I guess I was wrong.

Question: For idiots like me, should that be checked by default or offered as a default during setup? I know it caused a lot of grief for me (and, thus, you) by not being checked.

Question 2: When I pressed F7 and/or selected Tools/Spell Checking, Why did it not find the misspelling, whether or not "Use background spell-checking" was checked? I just unchecked "Use background spell-checking". I pressed F7. It highlighted the misspellings. I clicked "Ignore". I went to Tools/Spell Checking. I got "No misspelled words detected". I pressed F7. I got "No misspelled words detected". I went back to Tools/Options/Languages and checked "Use background spell-checking". The misspellings are now underlined in red. I unchecked "Use background spell-checking". I pressed F7. I got "No misspelled words detected". Oh, this is weird. I rechecked "Use background spell-checking". Misspellings are underlined. Both F7 and Tools/Spell Checking come up with "No misspelled words detected". Even while the misspelled words are underlined. Any ideas?

Again, I wish to express my admiration to your team's perseverance. And much thanks for your help. Right now, I would say checking "Use background spell-checking" solves my problem (as a work around). I just can't use F7 or Tools/Spell Checking. Back outside to work for me. You have a wonderful day!

Ralph

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:47 pm

Ralph wrote: Question: For idiots like me, should that be checked by default or offered as a default during setup? I know it caused a lot of grief for me (and, thus, you) by not being checked.

Question 2: When I pressed F7 and/or selected Tools/Spell Checking, Why did it not find the misspelling, whether or not "Use background spell-checking" was checked?
1. We support many different languages, and we do not know beforehand which language a user uses.
2. Keep in mind that Tools > Check spelling starts at the current cursor position. To check the whole document, set the cursor at the beginning of the document.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Ralph

Post by Ralph » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:51 am

It is very nice to hear from. And on a Sunday.

You are the expert here on languages. I thought background spell checking would not be language specific. That all languages could/should have background spell checking.

Tools > Check spelling starts at the current cursor position - background spell checking would work a lot better, it seems. I assume F7 works the same then. It works from the cursor. I saw nothing that alerted me to this situation. Should there be an option comes up that asks "from here forward or backward or the whole document"? I don't know about LibreOffice and if it works the same way or not.

Good job! Thank you for your time and the response.

Ralph

Return to “FreeOffice TextMaker 2016 for Linux”