PDF File Size Issue

Post your questions, bug reports and suggestions here for FreeOffice TextMaker 2016 for Linux

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

Alvin

PDF File Size Issue

Postby Alvin » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:33 pm

TextMaker has a couple of problems when creating PDF files. When I export a tmd file of size 51 KB using TM for Linux (on Linux Mint 18.1), the resulting PDF file is 528 KB. (The file partially embeds 4 fonts, has a page background color, and uses 128 bit encryption.) But when I export the same tmd file using TM for Windows (on Windows 7 Pro), the resulting PDF file is only 274 KB. That’s nearly half the size of the TM-Linux file.

But take a look at this: When I save the original tmd file as an odt file and then use LibreOffice 5 to export it as PDF (on Linux), the resulting PDF file is a mere 92 KB! That’s less than 18% of the size of the TM-Linux PDF file and barely 34% of the TM-Windows PDF file.

Clearly, the PDF-export feature on TextMaker is running with a serious handicap, especially the Linux version. At the least, TM-Linux should export a file no larger than the Windows version. But even more critical, LibreOffice Writer is blowing TextMaker out of the water with its highly efficient PDF exports. This is a significant competitive advantage of LOW over TM that can contribute to serious consequences down the pike.

The LibreOffice challenge should not be dismissed lightly. TextMaker should have a PDF feature just as efficient as anyone else's.

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: PDF File Size Issue

Postby sven-l » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:37 pm

Could you please provide a sample file (TextMaker file) where I can see the effect? Thank you!
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Alvin

Postby Alvin » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:23 am

sven-l:

I sent you a PDF file as requested a long time ago. Please let me know if you did not receive it to send you another one.

Alvin

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Postby sven-l » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:19 am

Seems I haven't received your file. Please send it again referring to this thread. Thank you!
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Return to “FreeOffice TextMaker 2016 for Linux”