Downloading FreeOffice 2016 for Linux

Post here those questions, bug reports and suggestions for SoftMaker FreeOffice 2016 for Linux that do not fit in any of the application-specific subforums.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

snowshed

Downloading FreeOffice 2016 for Linux

Post by snowshed » Tue May 29, 2018 8:57 pm

I use Linux occasionally, but I have Softmaker Pro installed in Windows 7.

I was going to download FreeOffice 2018 to install in the Linux computer, until I read the thread in the WaterCooler area that said the 2018 version of FreeOffice had features removed from the 2016 version.

I'm not interested in a version that has less features, I want all the features available in 2016.

Is there a way to download FreeOffice 2016 for Linux?

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Downloading FreeOffice 2016 for Linux

Post by martin-k » Tue May 29, 2018 9:01 pm

We do not offer FreeOffice 2016 anymore.

FreeOffice 2018 has fewer features in some areas, and many additional features in other areas. Of course, if your pet feature is removed, you complain. Nobody complains about the features that we added.

Also, note that the removed features do not reduce file-format compatibility. Just because you cannot insert a new footnote does not mean that footnotes are removed from an existing document. Everything that you created with SoftMaker Office 2018 is viewable and editable with FreeOffice 2018.

If you have the Windows version of SoftMaker Office, we offer cross-upgrades at € 25 to Linux. Contact us at sales (at) softmaker.com if interested.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

snowshed

Re: Downloading FreeOffice 2016 for Linux

Post by snowshed » Tue May 29, 2018 10:18 pm

martin-k wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 9:01 pm
We do not offer FreeOffice 2016 anymore.

FreeOffice 2018 has fewer features in some areas, and many additional features in other areas. Of course, if your pet feature is removed, you complain. Nobody complains about the features that we added.
Thanks, Martin,

I totally understand the "griping" process. LOL I've been in the realm of government at different times, and the names your get called... It's unbelievable.

I'll give 2018 a try, and see how things go.
martin-k wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 9:01 pm

If you have the Windows version of SoftMaker Office, we offer cross-upgrades at € 25 to Linux. Contact us at sales (at) softmaker.com if interested.
Personally, I am not happy with the direction Microsoft and Apple are going with their systems. I just can't feel comfortable recommending either system to users anymore, so I'm checking out different Linux systems for possible recommendations. I use my Mac 98% of the time, but it needs replacement. When I do, I may purchase Softmaker office for it. But, it may be I won't use an office suite enough to justify purchasing a suite. If at some time, you were to offer FreeOffice for the Mac, it would definitely get installed. :-)

Thank you for your help.

Return to “SoftMaker FreeOffice 2016 for Linux (General)”