How can one delete FreeOffice components?

Post here those questions, bug reports and suggestions for SoftMaker FreeOffice 2016 for Linux that do not fit in any of the application-specific subforums.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

Alvin

How can one delete FreeOffice components?

Postby Alvin » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:48 pm

I would like to delete the Presentations component of FreeOffice from one of my netbooks. Since I won't be doing presentation projects on that particular machine, it would be best to delete those files to recover the disk space. But the system will not allow me to do so because I am "not the owner" of the files. Is there any way to change the permissions granted to the end user with the terminal? Thx.

Kevlar

Re: How can one delete FreeOffice components?

Postby Kevlar » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:25 pm

you should become superuser, and lauch your prefered filemanager.
For example, in a Linux Distro that uses sudo instead of su just do that under a terminal

sudo pcmanfm

or
sudo thunar

or

sudo nautilus

and once you are under root mode you can do all mistakes that you want :mrgreen:

Michael Uplawski
Location: Canton Magny (previously Canton Carrouges), Orne, Normandy (previously Lower Normandy)

Postby Michael Uplawski » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:35 am

Kevlar wrote:you should become superuser, and lauch your prefered filemanager.
(...)
and once you are under root mode you can do all mistakes that you want :mrgreen:

Worst advice possible. Ignore it.
(1) Stick to the package management tool which is provided by your Linux-distribution. If there was no such tool, we cannot know how you manage anything on your machine. But If you wish to do it right in the future, either back to (1) or use a different way to keep track of changes, made on your machine during the installation of software. This also applies to the Microsoft® program-loader and Operating Systems of all kind.

The original post is lacking background-information and the previous response consideration. And I wonder why the SoftMaker staff did not intervene until today... Free or not, this is your forum and it conveys bad advice. Bad publicity, too, if you ask me.

Edit: Thanks for letting me correct this stuff.
People should go where they are not supposed to go, say what they are not supposed to say and stay, when they are told to leave.” (Howard Zinn)

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Postby martin-k » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:36 am

I disagree with Michael Uplawski.

FreeOffice can only be installed as one set of applications. Thanks to Linux packages having no UI for component selection, all programs are installed all of the time.

The only way to get rid of just Presentations is to delete the files, and the only way to do this is by becoming root. Yes, it is dangerous, but that's what you have backups for...
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Michael Uplawski
Location: Canton Magny (previously Canton Carrouges), Orne, Normandy (previously Lower Normandy)

Postby Michael Uplawski » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:35 am

martin-k wrote:The only way to get rid of just Presentations is to delete the files, and the only way to do this is by becoming root. Yes, it is dangerous, but that's what you have backups for...

I may disagree with everybody and still get away with it:
or use a different way to keep track of changes

This part is always ignored, but I still see it in my previous comment. The only way to do things right is probably inexistent. I would not dwell on it so much. [-X
People should go where they are not supposed to go, say what they are not supposed to say and stay, when they are told to leave.” (Howard Zinn)

Return to “SoftMaker FreeOffice 2016 for Linux (General)”