How To Update Links To Multiple Excel Workbooks?

Post your questions, bug reports and suggestions here for FreeOffice PlanMaker 2016 for Windows

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

billd

How To Update Links To Multiple Excel Workbooks?

Post by billd » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:32 pm

I am attempting to transition from Excel 2000 to PlanMaker (Free) 2016. I have an Excel workbook that references numerous cells in several other Excel workbooks.

When I open the primary workbook, a dialog pops up saying, "This workbook contains references to other workbooks. Do you want to update these references?".

Yes, I do... but...

The file names to some of the external workbooks have changed, since the primary workbook was created.

In Excel, at the bottom of the Edit menu, there is a Link option that allows updating links to external workbooks.

In PlanMaker, at the bottom of the Edit menu, there is a Link option that is grayed out.

So, in PlanMaker, how do I update the links to external workbooks?

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: How To Update Links To Multiple Excel Workbooks?

Post by sven-l » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:47 pm

There is a chapter in the PDF manual for updating external references in PlanMaker.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

billd

Re: How To Update Links To Multiple Excel Workbooks?

Post by billd » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:09 pm

sven-l wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:47 pm
There is a chapter in the PDF manual for updating external references in PlanMaker.
For those who may be as perplexed by this as I was, Excel and other spreadsheets that I have used handle references to external workbooks via Edit > Links, which is why I could not find the answer sought in the PlanMaker manual.

PlanMaker handles links referenced to external workbooks via Table > External References... (page 436 of the 2016 manual).

However, when I updated ALL external workbook links, only the data in the currently active spreadsheet was updated. Another spreadsheet with external workbook references in a different spreadsheet had to be individually updated. That is, the Update All function did not seem to update all references to all external workbook links. (Maybe it was just my error).

Thank you, sven-l, for pointing me in the right direction for the needed answer, as I sought to find the answer on my own in the manual but was referencing the wrong terminology in the wrong manual section.

Return to “FreeOffice PlanMaker 2016 for Windows”