Can't save files after Win10 FCU

Post here those questions, bug reports and suggestions for SoftMaker FreeOffice 2016 for Windows that do not fit in any of the application-specific subforums.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

Nukecad

Can't save files after Win10 FCU

Post by Nukecad » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:03 pm

The latest Softmaker FreeOffice 2016 will not save to 'Documents' following the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update.

Neither Textmaker or Planmaker can save files. (I don't use Presentation so haven't checked that).

Textmaker and Planmaker are the only programmes that are affected by this issue.
My other text and picture editors are all working fine.

I first noticed the issue when using Textmaker with an existing file I was altering.

'Save' gave a 'Cannot Create Backup' error.
I've checked Options>Files and 'Create Backup Files' was off; I tried turning it on but it just switches itself off again.

'SaveAs' with a new filename (or the existing filename) gave a 'File not Found' error. (Of course not, its a new filename).

This happens with various files, both existing files and newly created files.
It happens with various formats, .tmd, .doc, .rtf. (I haven't tried every format, I thought 3 was enough).

A quick test of Planmaker gave the same problems.

Troubleshooting up to now-

My first step was to try the Windows Programme Compatability Troubleshooter with Textmaker.
It switched Textmaker to Windows 8 compatability, but the problem persisted.

Next step was an uninstall of FreeOffice, clear the left over registry entries, reinstall.
Now both Save and SaveAs give the 'Cannot Create Backup' error if you try to save a file back to the original location.
(And again 'Create Backup Files' will not stay selected in Options).
SaveAs will also give the 'File not Found' error if you try to save to another location.

Oddly I have found that files can be saved to the local OneDrive folder.
C:\Users\{username}\Onedrive\ and any subfolders.

In fact files can also be saved to C:\Users\{username}
But files will not Save or SaveAs to C:\Users\{username}\Documents (which is the Windows default folder for documents).
Neither will they save to C:\Users\{username}\Pictures or any subfolder except OneDrive.

There are no redirections on any personal folders, they are all at their default locations.

Anybody got any ideas?

For completeness:
Windows 10 64-bit, version 1709, OS build 16299.19.
Logged with a Local, Administrator, account.
Softmaker FreeOffice, (rev 767.0516), newly downloaded and installed today.

Nukecad

Re: Can't save files after Win10 FCU

Post by Nukecad » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:10 pm

Additional:

The Autosave function also reports an 'Unable to create file' error when editing an existing document.

Nukecad

Post by Nukecad » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:04 am

I've found the answer to this problem myself after a bit more troubleshooting, (and when helping someone who had a problem with a cleaning programme not deleteing things).

It is an issue with a new feature of the Security Centre in the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update

It's the "Controled Folder Access" which blocks 'Unauthorised' programmes from making changes to certain folders.
This is an anti-ransomware feature to help prevent your data files from being encrypted by ransomware.

The folders protected by default are your- Documents, Pictures, Videos, Music, Favourites, and your Desktop folders.
You can add other folders to the protection list.

However Controlled Folder Access works on a "block everything by default" basis.

Of course Microsoft's own software is allowed through by default.

But if you use a 3rd party application you may find that it suddenly cannot save to your Documents (or other protected) folder.

Any 3rd party programme/application that tries to save to, or delete something from, one of the protected folders may be blocked.
(And if you have turned off notifications you will be scratching your head as to why).

It's not clear yet just how many 3rd party programmes this affects, it seems that some are affected some are not.

If you find you suddenly can't save a file because of this then try saving to the OneDrive folder, this is not in the protected list by default.

There are 2 ways to fix the problem.
  1. You can turn off Controled Folder Access altogether.
  2. You can make the 3rd party programme you use an exception in the Controled Folder Access.
To allow a programme through the Controled Folder Access:
Open the Security Centre and go to Virus & Threat Protection > Virus & threat protection settings > Allow an app through controlled folder access > +add an allowed app.
Browse to the .exe file of the app you want to allow, select it and click Open.

So for FreeOffice you will need to allow- TextMaker.exe, PlanMaker.exe, & Presentations.exe

DLancaster

Post by DLancaster » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:03 am

Still unable to make backup files. I have no problem saving files and have tried the suggestion made by Nukecad Oct 28 2017:

(To allow a programme through the Controled Folder Access:
Open the Security Centre and go to Virus & Threat Protection > Virus & threat protection settings > Allow an app through controlled folder access > +add an allowed app.
Browse to the .exe file of the app you want to allow, select it and click Open.

So for FreeOffice you will need to allow- TextMaker.exe, PlanMaker.exe, & Presentations.exe)

Still "Backuo file cannot be created"

Return to “SoftMaker FreeOffice 2016 for Windows (General)”