Support East Asian styled font size

Post here those questions, bug reports and suggestions for SoftMaker FreeOffice 2016 for Windows that do not fit in any of the application-specific subforums.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

Vladimir

Support East Asian styled font size

Postby Vladimir » Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:49 pm

Despite FreeOffice 2016 supports Chinese and Japanese, the special measurement units for their font size have not implemented. China and Japan has different measurement units for font size, they has a tradition using “号”(hào) unit for their typesettings, it was used for specifying movable type (活字) size, this unit has already implemented in Adobe InDesign, Microsoft Office, Apache OpenOffice, LibreOffice, I think FreeOffice should also provide this unit for Chinese and Japanese users. Here is a table provides these same “号”(hào) units together, as used in Japan and China, along with the equivalent sizes in points, taken from Adobe Blog:

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Support East Asian styled font size

Postby sven-l » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:25 am

Changing the font size measurement from pt to Chinese and Japanese (hào) is possible in Adobe InDesign but we could not find a way to change it in MS Word 2013. Could you please show us how you could change the measurement in MS Word? Thank you!
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Vladimir

Postby Vladimir » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:53 am

I have no M$ Office yet, but I have LibreOffice. On LibreOffice Writer, you can see it in “Font size” list, they can be used as other measurement. Note this is available only in zh-CN and zh-TW locale, make sure you have installed these language packages when you installed LibreOffice, and enable it in both user interface and locale settings.

Last edited by Vladimir on Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Postby sven-l » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:09 am

I will refer this as a feature request to our product management.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Return to “SoftMaker FreeOffice 2016 for Windows (General)”