Cannot open files all of a sudden...

Post here those questions, bug reports and suggestions for SoftMaker FreeOffice 2016 for Windows that do not fit in any of the application-specific subforums.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

sfguybryan

Cannot open files all of a sudden...

Post by sfguybryan » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:56 am

Hi, I've used SoftMaker for a couple of years now, but just recently attempted to open a file that I use regularly and keep getting "cannot open file". What's happened? Was there an update or something that occurred that I'm not aware of? Help, please...

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Cannot open files all of a sudden...

Post by sven-l » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:30 am

Do you try to open that file with a double click in the Windows Explorer? It is possible that the file association has somehow changed and now another program tries to open the file and brings that error message.

Please try to open the file directly from TextMaker via File=>Open.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

sfguybryan

Post by sfguybryan » Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:38 pm

Hi, I'm using Windows 10. When I want to open SoftMaker, I use "start", then "file explorer", then "hard drive e", then "softmaker freeoffice 2016", this opens the program in Google Chrome, then "text maker", but when I click on the file I want to open, I keep getting "file cannot be opened"...

Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Post by Jossi » Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:45 pm

If something is opened in Google Chrome in the process, something is going wrong. Instead of choosing "file explorer" in Windows start, choose "All apps", open "SoftMaker Office 2016" in the list and click "TextMaker 2016". When TextMaker is up and running, go to File > Open..., look for your file and try to open it. Does this work?

sfguybryan

Post by sfguybryan » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:37 pm

Thank you all for responding. I've tried opening my file by going through "start", "all apps", "SoftMaker", then "text maker". Then, as I open "file" then "open", the folder that I want to open isn't in the choice of folders I'm looking for. It's included in the choices up to "text maker", but then it disappears when I open "file". When I try to open it from the "text maker" option, this is when I get the message "cannot open file". When I use the other method of "file", then "open", it's not included in the choices, so I type it in... this is when I get another message "cannot find file"...

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:34 am

sfguybryan wrote:...", then "softmaker freeoffice 2016",...
I will move this thread into the FreeOffice forum.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:36 am

If you have a shortcut for TextMaker on your desktop you can also drag the file icon from the Windows Explorer window with the mouse directly over the TextMaker icon and release it. this will make TextMaker open your file.

It is also possible that the file is damaged. You can send it to us to forum(at)softmaker.de referring to this thread. Then we could have a look at it.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Return to “SoftMaker FreeOffice 2016 for Windows (General)”