Wow, very good.

Post here those questions, bug reports and suggestions for SoftMaker FreeOffice 2016 for Windows that do not fit in any of the application-specific subforums.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

Patrick

Wow, very good.

Post by Patrick » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:23 am

Hi there,

I've been a user of SoftMaker Office 2010 and 2012, and tried (bought) SMO 2016 also, although I was disappointed with the latter due to the way SoftMaker chose to go about activation which hampers portable use on various computers (I got a refund).

So then I came across FreeOffice 2016, and at first I wasn't even going to try it because FreeOffice 2012 had that annoying side bar that would load every time to remind you you're using a free version, etc. But I did try it, and I have to say the feature-set included in this free version, the fact it has a dark theme, the ability to export to PDF and EPUB natively, the lack of side bar nag, the ability to make a portable out of it, makes it just a pleasure to work with.

Sure, I wish I could save docx and such, but since the activation method for FreeOffice 2016 will not require internet connection when running as a portable on a different PC or in a VM, it makes it a joy to work with. Thanks, SoftMaker, for making this great suite available. You still get to use .doc and .tmd and even .odt if you want. The PDF export is really good, I converted a large .doc file which is a book that includes images and the PDF is just excellent.

Just a note: if you guys at SoftMaker make activation use the same method for Std or Pro as it is in the Free version, I would buy SMO 2016. It just won't work for me to have the requirement of internet connection when using it in portable mode, is all. Otherwise, I love it =D>
Image SoftMaker Office Pro 2012 Rev. 702 User

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Wow, very good.

Post by martin-k » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:02 am

I am glad that you like FreeOffice 2016 (and, yes, the sidebar can be hidden), but I need to point out that it uses exactly the same type of unlocking over the internet as SoftMaker Office 2016. If it works for you here, it should have worked the same when you had SoftMaker Office 2016.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Patrick

Post by Patrick » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:11 pm

Thanks, Martin.

Well, it is true that initially there is the requirement of internet activation, but once I have done that and then make it into a portable, after that I can run it on any computer, it doesn't have to be tied to a USB drive or anything (in other words I can run the suite from a folder locally on that computer). But with SMO 2016 Std, when I run it on a different PC, it requires activation again. This is not the case with FreeOffice 2016. I just opened SMO 2016 with my license (portable I made back when I had license) and run it on my PC (same PC, different Windows install). It requires activation. Do the same with FreeOffice 2016 on any other PC on in a VM, it does not require activation.

Patrick

Post by Patrick » Sat May 07, 2016 4:19 am

You're right Martin (of course), it does require internet activation when installed/used on different PC's or VM's.. I was living in a fool's paradise, as I had internet connection on those computers and VM's I tried the portable on. I will give you a real life example why I am so against this and why I got a refund on Office 2016.

Last Friday, lightning struck our phone lines and it didn't get fixed until 5 days later. This left us without internet connection. I had to do a restore on my PC just before the storm came. It was rainy in the weekend, so I thought I would edit some long overdue documents I needed to back up and thought I would do it with FreeOffice (especially since I had to do some PDF conversions). Anyway, I tried to run my portable version of FreeOffice and guess what.. it won't work without re-activating it. I tried everything but I could not even start TextMaker, even though it is a free version and I already made my own customized portable version. How is that OK? It is not OK. It is a plain nuisance to your customers/users. So even though I actually love the SoftMaker apps themselves, I now don't use them anymore because of this online activation scheme. I went ahead and bought Atlantis 2.0 even though it doesn't have native PDF export, but I'll use Doro or similar PDF driver for that.

It could have been perfect, you know? But I'm not going to be your server's slave, so to speak :) Sorry. I still have SMO 2012, though probably not up to date on conversion filters that much. What can I do? I just thought you understood the whole philosophy of measures of localized power and ownership. With your activation scheme, you took that away. It is not a trivial issue. When I cannot use my own local copy of an app, it has lost its most central value. Local usage. I don't live in a cloud. In fact, a thunder cloud struck my internet down. I live right here and I could not use TextMaker. Mission critical PC's also cannot afford to use SoftMaker 2016 products because of the aforementioned reasons.

Return to “SoftMaker FreeOffice 2016 for Windows (General)”