New Fonts in Microsoft Office

Post your questions, bug reports and suggestions here for SoftMaker fonts.
Woody44

New Fonts in Microsoft Office

Post by Woody44 »

I recently learned that Microsoft Office is [again] going to replace the default sand serif typeface on the Microsoft Office suite, this time with a new font they had designed for them, now called Aptos. The Typography Guru classifies the new font as a Univers variation.

Are there any fonts in the Megafont NOW collection that are similar to Univers, or to Aptos?
lgsl

Re: New Fonts in Microsoft Office

Post by lgsl »

Since Univers is a derivate of the Grotesk family (Akzidenz-Grotesk to be precise), probably Grotesk Pro could be closer to that you are looking for. But to be honest... I would not waste my time worrying too much about that anyhow, is not like APA and all those other silly standards will adopt it right away, and even if they did, they will leave a bunch of fallbacks for non-MS users. Not to mention that Univers (and Aptos by extension, probably), in my opinion, is a forgettable font design, always has. Is just another Grotesk with similar features to Helvetica.

As an alternative... you could also look for U001 and/or URW Classic Sans. Both are available under the Aladdin Free Public License, and both are clones of Univers.
Woody44

Re: New Fonts in Microsoft Office

Post by Woody44 »

lgsl wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:31 pm As an alternative... you could also look for U001 and/or URW Classic Sans. Both are available under the Aladdin Free Public License, and both are clones of Univers.
Thank you. I had not heard of either of those fonts.

Return to “SoftMaker Fonts”