Problem with nested If formulas

Post your questions, bug reports and suggestions here for PlanMaker 2016 for Linux.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

LanceGary

Problem with nested If formulas

Post by LanceGary » Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:26 am

I am not 100% sure this is a bug or just some error on my part, and I haven't tested it in the Windows version.
I frequently have to place students' grades into classes of pass for various reasons. The institution I work for uses classes such as "first", "upper second", "second", "third", "supplementary" and "fail without supplementary". I tend to use numbers for the first 4 and the letters "s" and "f" for the last two.
However in developing a long nested "if" formula I found that Linux 2016 Planmaker will just print "True" or "False" if I mix letters and numbers, but does work if I code all the classes of pass as numbers.

=IF(AT96>74,5;1;IF(AT96>69,5;2;IF(AT96>59,5;2,5;IF(AT96>49,5;3;IF(AT96>39,5;4;5)))))

The above works it is coded as numbers - but substitute "s" for "4" and "f" for "5" and it does not work especially if I copy the formula down a column next to a column of grades. In that case the copied formula returns "TRUE" or "FALSE" instead of the desired code.

It is not a fatal problem but Excel does permit the use of both letters and numbers in complex nested IF formulas.

Lance

Robin Holt

Re: Problem with nested If formulas

Post by Robin Holt » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:56 am

I tested this in Windows and it seems to work all right with a couple of reservations. The "s" and "t" used in the formula should be enclosed in quotes and it seems to work if the target column is formatted to "text". If it takes the "default" I was also getting some of the strange Boolean answers. I'm attaching a simple spreadsheet. You'll have to convert back to German format, I changed yours to US standard. :)
Attachments
NestedIfExample2.pmdx
(6.55 KiB) Downloaded 127 times

LanceGary

Re: Problem with nested If formulas

Post by LanceGary » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:06 am

Thanks for your reply. Yes I was aware of the need for quotes around the "s" and the "f". I wasn't aware that the data had to be text (that would be silly since they have to be manipulated as numbers). Excel permits a single nested if formula for both text and numerical codes.

Lance

Return to “PlanMaker 2016 for Linux”