Any scripting support on Linux?

Post here those questions, bug reports and suggestions for SoftMaker Office 2016 for Linux that do not fit in any of the application-specific subforums.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

biterror

Any scripting support on Linux?

Postby biterror » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:56 am

I have been using Applixware for a long time and use its scripting language to retrieve data from spreadsheets and create certain text documents automatically and to initialize new spreadsheets etc. Does SoftMaker have any support for scripting on Linux? I don't need BasicMaker specifically, I could use python or perl - but is this supported?

Thanks.

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Any scripting support on Linux?

Postby sven-l » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:56 am

There is no support for scripting on Linux for SoftMaker Office.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

biterror

Postby biterror » Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:45 pm

Okay, thanks for the quick reply. Have to keep using Applixware, then.

Michael Uplawski
Location: Canton Magny (previously Canton Carrouges), Orne, Normandy (previously Lower Normandy)

Postby Michael Uplawski » Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:13 am

See also: “Macro capability?

The Ruby gem “Roo” can read and work with PMD files, as well as ODS, XLS and XLSX. PMDX files, although they do not conform in all details with the Microsoft OOXML standard are readable, too! (Edit, 29/08 2016)

Anyway, with the other file-formats being supported by SoftMaker Office as well as the Roo gem, spreadsheet files can be manipulated in ruby-programs. That is pretty much all the scripting support that I need, personally 8). Just use your favorite text-editor and code along... Write-support is currently only available for Google Spreadsheets, but as PlanMaker imports CSV-files and in the process discerns characters from numbers, writing to CSV is a simple work-around. (Edit 30/08/2016)

Screen shot: my spreadsheet viewer application for the terminal. Mime-Types determine the Roo-instance to be used, either ODS, XLS or XLSX. As PMD is a “Composite Document File V2 Document, Little Endian“, it is handled like an xls file, and here it is:
sc_planmaker_viewer_terminal.png
(I could also just paste the table here, as it is pure text).

Edit: Obsolete text removed. See at the end of this discussion on www.linuxquestion.org how the viewer is used to display spreadsheet attachments received with the Mutt email-client.
Last edited by Michael Uplawski on Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:03 am, edited 6 times in total.
People should go where they are not supposed to go, say what they are not supposed to say and stay, when they are told to leave.” (Howard Zinn)

Michael Uplawski
Location: Canton Magny (previously Canton Carrouges), Orne, Normandy (previously Lower Normandy)

Postby Michael Uplawski » Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:49 am

sven-l wrote:There is no support for scripting on Linux for SoftMaker Office.

You can put that differently: “There is no support for scripting SoftMaker Office in SoftMaker Office”. Linux is just fine... :mrgreen:
People should go where they are not supposed to go, say what they are not supposed to say and stay, when they are told to leave.” (Howard Zinn)

biterror

Postby biterror » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:54 pm

Hi,

I just purchased Softmaker 2016 Professional for linux. Are there any plans for any kind of scripting support in the linux version of Softmaker? I need to fetch information from the spreadsheet cells - it wouldn't be that hard to implement a few commands for doing this and adding, say, a unix domain socket for communicating with the minimal command parser.

Please?

Michael Uplawski

Postby Michael Uplawski » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:04 pm

biterror wrote:I need to fetch information from the spreadsheet cells

This is possible in different ways. What kind of complication would the export to CSV mean to you and if there is none, what could you use to extract data from a CSV file? Which programming/scripting language would you deploy to make use of a SoftMaker-provided programming interface?

It all depends on your demands and capabilities. See above.

Cheerio,

Michael

biterror

Postby biterror » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:54 pm

Well, maybe I could extract the data from a csv file using perl or python. It just feels kind of stupid - my current spreadsheet has a scripting language and I can simply click a cell in the spreadsheet to execute a script and collect the data I need. Feels like a big leap back in history.. actually, I think all spreadsheets I have ever used have had scripting support.

Michael Uplawski

Postby Michael Uplawski » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:41 pm

biterror wrote:Feels like a big leap back in history.. actually, I think all spreadsheets I have ever used have had scripting support.

Though some of them had to make a big leap back in history to allow scripting support. I do not know, what a good scripting engine for SoftMaker Office could look like, because I know less than nothing about their code or project management. Just imitating the LibreOffice example could have a devastating effect. There are more important tasks waiting for a small team, “longstanding bugs” (see there) to be handled.

Maybe the simplest way to get script support would be by means of an old-fashioned file-interface (export -> modify -> import). When these interfaces where common, XML had not been popular or inexistent (I am not old enough to know). So, nowadays, a little leap back in history could maybe facilitate recurring tasks, which is just one kind of PROGRESS!

Michael Uplawski

Postby Michael Uplawski » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:37 am

Michael Uplawski wrote:Maybe the simplest way to get script support would be by means of an old-fashioned file-interface (export -> modify -> import). When these interfaces where common, XML had not been popular or inexistent (I am not old enough to know). So, nowadays, a little leap back in history could maybe facilitate recurring tasks, which is just one kind of PROGRESS!

I am coming back because the scenario above had crossed my mind only upon answering in this thread and has continued to worry me. The necessity for a “file-interface”, however you want to interpret the expression, becomes difficult to accept, when you realize that it “is all in XML already”. But as the XML is hardly manageable, a mixture of published standards, unpublished standards and ad-hoc additions, you cannot hope to write scripts against it...

If I look at the file-interface as a means to simplify access to the file-content, it does probably mean inventing a subset of the XML in use by the SoftMaker Office-Suite.

The conclusion so far would be: All is complicated, all choices are bad choices, all decisions will be regretted in the future.

But what, if..., we ...” (George C. Scott)
could once and for all have a discussion about automation in SoftMaker Office, lead by and animated by the SoftMaker-Team..? We do not know the constraints, the code, the ideas already produced and understand less than nothing of the implications. I feel a deep chasm between the users' clearly expressed desires and SoftMaker's persistent silence.

There would certainly still be more than one way to achieve automation.

-) Contribute to Apache-Poi
-) Contribute to other software packages that manipulate office file formats.
-) Expose variables and give the user corresponding new configuration-options or functions.
-) Do anything which had previously been discussed in the context of automation... and the English-speaking forum is not the only place.

Return to “SoftMaker Office 2016 for Linux (General)”