Mime-type Icons Changed

Post here those questions, bug reports and suggestions for SoftMaker Office 2016 for Linux that do not fit in any of the application-specific subforums.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

sm0564

Mime-type Icons Changed

Post by sm0564 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:47 am

This has been really annoying. I installed the Softmaker Office 2016 after removing 2012 version. During the installation process, it changed all the mime-type icons. I want the OpenOffice icons for those files....and not the Softmaker icons. I don't understand why Softmaker would set all document types to only their icons. I tried uninstalling OpenOffice and LibreOffice and reinstalling. I thought this might force the mime-types back to their creating programs. Unfortunately, I cannot change the icons back. PLEASE HELP!

jeroen

Re: Mime-type Icons Changed

Post by jeroen » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:57 am

You can modify the description in 'softmaker-office-2016.xml', in that file 'icon names' are declared for various mime-types, you could change these to 'generic-icon names' and use the generic icons instead of the softmaker icons.

e.g. a sed line related to these changes would be:
'sed "s/icon/generic-icon/g;s/application-x-tmd/x-office-document/g;s/application-x-pmd/x-office-spreadsheet/g;s/application-x-prd/x-office-presentation/g" softmaker-office-2016.xml'

sm0564

Post by sm0564 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:54 pm

Thanks. I tried the "sed" command with no luck. There are 2 softmaker-office-2016.xml files...one in /usr/local/share/mime/packages and the other in /usr/share/office2016/mime. I applied the sed command you gave to both files.

I uninstalled SoftMaker Office to remove all the mime-type associations and all the icons added to each theme. This allowed me to get the correct icons for OpenOffice and LibreOffice documents. I tried to re-install SoftMaker Office and tried to interrupt the process, when it is copying all the icons to the themes. This didn't work as the program installation doesn't complete until after all the changes to the theme. I tried to look for a script in the rpm, but could not identify it. The only file formats that SoftMaker should change is their own native file formats (e.g. tmd, pmd, etc.).

Because of its excellent MS compatibility, I use it only for native and MS documents and it should not assume to change all the other icons on my computer. I'm sure this is specified in the rpm script, but I need more help (I think).

jeroen

Post by jeroen » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:55 pm

Have you tried updating the mime database after modifying the xml-file in /usr/local/share/mime/packages (that should be the one, you can alway modify the other one as well).

running 'update-mime-database -v /usr/local/share/mime/' might do it.

attilas

Post by attilas » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:02 pm

Try the softmaker-office-2016-749.tgz package with the installation script.
You may modify the script. It may ask question like this:
"Do you want to update the mime associations for your SoftMaker Office 2016 installation now? (y/n) [y]"

sm0564

Post by sm0564 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:41 am

UPDATE: I tried installing and running the sed command and then updating the mime database. I also uninstalled and used the TGZ file with the installation script. I found the "Do you want to update the mime associations for your SoftMaker Office 2016 installation now? (y/n) [y]" in the script, but it never asked this during the installation. Unfortunately, I didn't have time to understand and modify the script. I uninstalled and reinstalled the rpm. I used the CTRL-C when the rpm file started to install all those icons in the themes. I discovered that the applications are fully installed and I could open them from the command line. After this I only had to create a textmaker16.desktop file and place it in /.local/share/applications/. This did the trick. I have Softmaker applications only associated with tmd, doc and docx files. This may just be my wish, but I hope that this is fixed in a future update (maybe it's a feature to others, but I would like the choice of whether to associate OpenOffice/LibreOffice files with Softmaker programs).

As an example, here is the textmaker16.desktop file (this also allowed me to set the preferred application):

#!/usr/bin/env xdg-open

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Type=Application
Terminal=false
Icon[en_US]=application-x-tml16
Exec=/usr/bin/textmaker16 %F
Name[en_US]=Textmaker2016
Name=Textmaker2016
Categories=Office;
Icon=/usr/local/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps/application-x-tml16.png
MimeType=application/msword;application/x-tmd;

Thanks for all your help anyway. Like I said, hopefully this won't be necessary in future builds.

DJungk

Re: Mime-type Icons Changed - partial solution

Post by DJungk » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:22 am

HI,
I installed Softmaker 2016 and it changed mime types for a number of other programs. So, when I installed a new system, I found a way to avoid it on the new one.
I downloaded the tgz file, uncompressed it and then uncompressed the office.tgz file inside it.

At this point, Presentations and Planmaker could be run by double clicking the icons, but Textmaker wanted several shared libraries. I copied the uncompressed dpf folder into usr/lib and then moved the three lib files (libdle.so, libdpf.so.2.8.0 and libsx.so) up a level into usr/lib. From a terminal, I ran 'ldconfig' as superuser and the programs all work. At this point, tmd files still have a generic icon and I have to make launchers and put them in the start menus, but for me, this is minor compared to the icon problem I had on the old system.
Let's hope it is fixed in the next patch.

Don

jeroen

Post by jeroen » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:43 pm

As I had posted earlier it should be possible to edit the mime-icon-associations before or after installing SMO, exempli gratia the Arch Linux AUR-package.

Return to “SoftMaker Office 2016 for Linux (General)”