Long-Standing Bugs

Post bug reports and suggestions for PlanMaker 2016 Beta for Linux.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

bennachie

Long-Standing Bugs

Postby bennachie » Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:51 am

My first impression of the current beta is that two long-standing bugs are still around:

Planmaker identifies non-existent circular references. This is not really surprising, since the Windows version does the same.

Planmaker does not use the correct format for dates in Australia, NZ and the UK (dd/mm/yyyy). Planmaker for Windows understands locales, and the problem does not arise there, but apparently Planmaker for Linux does not. As a consequence, you either have to make numerous changes to multiple worksheets in order for an Excel spreadsheet to run correctly, or accept that you must work entirely in US date format (mm/dd/yyyy).

I guess I can live with the former bug, since nobody appears able or willing to fix it (despite my having provided a very simple test sheet to show how the problem arises). At least the actual calculations are correct. The second bug needs to be fixed as a matter of urgency.

Michael Uplawski
Location: Canton Magny (previously Canton Carrouges), Orne, Normandy (previously Lower Normandy)

Re: Long-Standing Bugs

Postby Michael Uplawski » Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:21 pm

You have wisely chosen the subject line for this discussion (it is one, now).
I am convinced that other long-standing issues need urgent addressing and that some do in deed get the attention that is required. If there are more open bugs growing tremendously long beards nowadays than years ago, it may be a symptom of Too Much Success of the SoftMaker office-suite, of too many people watching and of too many use-cases being revealed that not many had thought of, before.

I am repeating myself a lot, but still believe that some more direct information about the currently handled issues, about the (named) bugs which should be fixed since yesterday, this morning, probably tomorrow... would help us assess the volume of work that can be done by the small SoftMaker team, today and in the future. A real change-log which does more than communicate new features would be welcome. And then, there is even a forum, I heard. *)

Personally, I do not really know what I am testing with that Beta, other than all the stuff that had already been there for years.

edits: Kraut2English conversions. Check back often.

*)I notice that the 2016 Windows-version *has* a change-log.
Last edited by Michael Uplawski on Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
People should go where they are not supposed to go, say what they are not supposed to say and stay, when they are told to leave.” (Howard Zinn)

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Postby sven-l » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:45 pm

bennachie wrote:Planmaker identifies non-existent circular references. This is not really surprising, since the Windows version does the same.

Could you please send us a sample file to forum(at)softmaker.de referring to that thread? Thank you!
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

bennachie

Postby bennachie » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:38 pm

Sven

Here you are - again.

I'd better keep it on file for use during PM 2018 beta testing ...
Attachments
PM2016-Circular-Reference-Test.xlsx
(11.95 KiB) Downloaded 62 times

Michael Uplawski
Location: Canton Magny (previously Canton Carrouges), Orne, Normandy (previously Lower Normandy)

Postby Michael Uplawski » Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:20 pm

bennachie wrote:Planmaker does not use the correct format for dates in Australia, NZ and the UK (dd/mm/yyyy). Planmaker for Windows understands locales, and the problem does not arise there, but apparently Planmaker for Linux does not. As a consequence, you either have to make numerous changes to multiple worksheets in order for an Excel spreadsheet to run correctly, or accept that you must work entirely in US date format (mm/dd/yyyy).

This needs a few more words. A custom date format is possible [DD\/MM\/YYYY], but it should be
  • unnecessary to define and apply it whenever an existing file is opened in PlanMaker
  • selectable from the format-sets that PlanMaker offers for a given “language” in the Dropdown-field “Language”, albeit already incomplete.
Everything else will be difficult to communicate.
People should go where they are not supposed to go, say what they are not supposed to say and stay, when they are told to leave.” (Howard Zinn)

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Postby sven-l » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:50 am

bennachie wrote:Sven

Here you are - again.

I'd better keep it on file for use during PM 2018 beta testing ...

Thank you! I will inform the developers.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Postby sven-l » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:29 am

According to our developers there's a (potential) circular formula. Excel doesn't show a message, PlanMaker does. The reason is the Index function which chooses one value of a range. Excel does a full evaluation of the resulting area but PlanMaker checks only the full area. They will improve this in future versions.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Return to “Beta: PlanMaker 2016 for Linux”