Private Beta 3 replaces default icons

Post bug reports and suggestions here for SoftMaker Office 2016 for Linux Beta that do not fit in any of the application-specific subforums.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

marisano

Private Beta 3 replaces default icons

Postby marisano » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:59 pm

I'm not impressed with the Beta 3 release of Softmaker Office 2016 trashing all my existing office icons from LibreOffice and Microsoft (in /usr/share/icons) - especially without having saved my previous icon folders. Now even when I change the default application I'm stuck with SoftMaker's icons for every office document type!

Very poor behavior.

whatep

Re: Private Beta 3 replaces default icons

Postby whatep » Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:33 pm

I totally agree. I will NOT be using Softmaker office from now on. It is not acceptable to remove choice from users. The reason Linux users use this operating system is that it gives us choice over the options and configuration of our systems. Softmaker would never be more than a useful addition to mainstream office applications such as LibreOffice and the decision to alter default icons should be down to the user. Not only are the default icons altered for word processor documents, but icons and default applications are also altered for other document types that Softmaker office does not even support (such as ods, and text data files for gnuplot, R etc). It looks like I will have to re-install my operating system to restore my preferred configuration.

whatep

Postby whatep » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:51 pm

There is a fix for this. I un-installed Softmaker Office 2016 and the mime association of the icons went back to what they should be (with the exception of .tmd files which is reasonable as they are native textmaker files). I'll leave it un-installed until the install behaviour is acceptable (at the very least there should be an install option for file association).

marisano

Postby marisano » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:39 pm

Glad you found a fix for this.

I'm surprised that worked, however. It's very interesting, because my previous icons had been completely overridden. I don't know how SoftMaker Office knew which icons to re-install. To get things back into an acceptable state, I re-installed the Humanity and Gnome icon themes. (I also installed a couple of other extra icon themes; that may be how I got some specific LibreOffice icons back.)

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Postby sven-l » Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:17 pm

The icon issues should no longer occur with the next beta.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

marisano

Postby marisano » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:04 pm

Thanks.

Return to “General”