Failure whilst trying to run on Ubuntu on Chromebook with Crouton

Post bug reports and suggestions here for SoftMaker Office 2016 for Linux Beta that do not fit in any of the application-specific subforums.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

JohnbCallander

Failure whilst trying to run on Ubuntu on Chromebook with Crouton

Post by JohnbCallander » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:27 am

One of the things I am/was trying out was to add it to Ubuntu 12, but sitting on my Chromebook Acer C720. I have managed to run linux 2012 version of SoftMaker on it (32 bit). However 2016 version appeared to install, but after entering the code it came up with SDL Engine initialisation failed fallback to Xrender/Xlib forced. However then when logging off it seems to have corrupted the whole Chroot and give the message Fatal error no screens found, every time I try and restart. :o I have had to re-install. It would be helpful to know if you can advise of any way to avoid this problem. [-o<

There are a large number of people using using linux by this method as it means you have very cheaply, a battery life of 6 hours, or so and the advantages of chrome and linux (allowing Skype, Netflix and the like which Chrome does not). So is quite a chunk now of Linux market.

I will also be trying to use on Ubuntu 14.04.3 on dual boot on my Windows 10 Desktop, it was just going to be much better to have a backup for my presentations from my Windows 10 laptop first. - Cannot lug my Desktop around!

JohnbCallander

Re: Failure whilst trying to run on Ubuntu on Chromebook with Crouton

Post by JohnbCallander » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:26 am

I have now installed 14.04 via Crouton on Chromebook. This seems to work without the startup error. I am running LXDE and will post any issues with this version as I come across them. I logged out and in twice without crashing the chroot. :D

Jim-J
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Failure whilst trying to run on Ubuntu on Chromebook with Crouton

Post by Jim-J » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:07 pm

Hello,
SoftMaker Office runs with Ubuntu 12 but the libraries have to be installed manually. With Ubuntu 14.04 this will be done automatically.
Jim J.
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Return to “General”