Problem with text conversion using Format > Cell > TEXT

Post your questions, bug reports and suggestions here for PlanMaker 2016 for Windows.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

david12

Problem with text conversion using Format > Cell > TEXT

Post by david12 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:05 am

I imported a .csv file from another program and discovered a problem with conversion to text format.

I am in the USA and my purpose was to reformat date information in the .csv file so that PlanMaker would understand it as a date. In the explanation that follows, the .csv date data is in the form MM-DD-YYYY.

In this first screen shot please see that the "raw data" from the .csv file is in column C. Column D shows this data converted to a PlanMaker recognizable date using the formula shown above the columns.
DatesSameConversionDifferent.png
DatesSameConversionDifferent.png (11.02 KiB) Viewed 2257 times
Please note that the top two dates in column C are the same, but the dates to which they have been converted in column D are different.

The correct conversion, that is where 09-03-2016 = 09-03-2016 has been facilitated by placing an apostrophe in front of the entry in column C as below:
CorrectConversionWithApostrophe.png
CorrectConversionWithApostrophe.png (11.27 KiB) Viewed 2257 times
Using the leading apostrophe is the only way to get PlanMaker to recognize the text string in column C properly.

If you try to use Format > Cell > TEXT, this is what happens:
UsingTextFunctionDoesNotWork.png
Again, the only way to 'stabilize' the entry in column C as text is to use the leading apostrophe.

But wait! There's more!

The intervention with the leading apostrophe is necessary only when the first digit of the DD section is 0, as in the examples above. That is, the use of the apostrophe is necessary when MM-0D-YYYY is the case, as in 09-03-2016. On the other hand, if the digit in the first position of DD is 1, 2, or 3 (the only possibilities because DD can be 01-31 only,) as with 08-27-16, the use of the leading apostrophe is not necessary. Format > Cell > TEXT works fine.

Placing the leading apostrophe is very labor intensive. Another solution would be better. The PlanMaker manual does not mention the apostrophe. I gather the use of that operator is no longer supported. But it still works.

Eight days ago I emailed a description of this anomaly to the support department, but I have received neither acknowledgement nor reply. So I'm posting it to the forum. I included the problem .csv file in my email to support, but the data is real and I would prefer not to publish it. If somebody in support would like to see the .csv file, I would be happy to send it along, please contact me directly.

Thank you.

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Problem with text conversion using Format > Cell > TEXT

Post by sven-l » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:56 am

If possible, please send that file to forum(at)softmaker.de. Thank you!
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Return to “PlanMaker 2016 for Windows”