No sum appearing

Post your questions, bug reports and suggestions here for PlanMaker 2016 for Windows.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

webmiester

No sum appearing

Postby webmiester » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:42 pm

Hi, when I put on the field "=sum(number1,number2,...)" the sum does not appear. Many of the fields have numbers highlighted, but when I click on them the values do not reflect. Pls see the attached file. BTW, this file was initially made in MS Excel, then edited in planmaker on my computer.
Attachments
Erroneous Data.xlsx
(13.8 KiB) Downloaded 48 times

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: No sum appearing

Postby sven-l » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:00 pm

The Formula view is active. Please invoke View=>Show Formulas.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

webmiester

Postby webmiester » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:14 pm

sven-l wrote:The Formula view is active. Please invoke View=>Show Formulas.

Hi, I tried out your suggestion. The numbers did appear, thank you.

However, I noticed that cells B38 and D38 are not displaying the correct answer. Their answer is clearly not supposed to be "0". There are other cells which posts this same problem. Why is this so?

webmiester

webmiester

Postby webmiester » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:18 pm

I would also like to share that after putting on view > show formulas, some lines with the =SUM still appeared as such "=SUM(number1,number2)" instead of displaying the correct answer. Pls see Line 90 of this updated file.
Attachments
Erroneous Data.xlsx
(13.78 KiB) Downloaded 40 times

webmiester

Postby webmiester » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:35 pm

When I click on the "B" Cell on the top of the spreadsheet the display on the lower right shows "sum=0". The same with the "D" Cell. It is as if the numbers listed in these columns are not being recognized as numbers. Other examples are Cell C13. Cell C38 should have "16" as an answer instead of "15". C59 should be 12 not 6. Cell E59 should be around 20, not 9. It seems that many of the numbers inside the cells are not being recognized by my program.

pmfrench

Postby pmfrench » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:00 pm

It appears to be a combination of things. One thing is that the cells containing numbers are formatted as text, so you were correct in saying the numbers aren't being recognized as numbers. I'm not sure why PlanMaker doesn't show that as being the case, but if you load the file into LibreOffice, you can clearly see that. There also appears to be cell protection turned on at some level, so you need to remove that, change the cell formatting from text to some number format, then re-enter the numeric data and things start to work as expected.

pmfrench

Postby pmfrench » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:03 am

Even worse. If you go to the View menu and select Syntax Highlighting, numbers display in blue, formulas in green, text in black. You can see that there is no consistency in how the numbers were entered. Some were entered as text, some as numbers. The coloring is somewhat subdued in PlanMaker, but in LibreOffice Calc the equivalent is View menu, Value Highlighting, and the colors are much easier to distinguish.

webmiester

Postby webmiester » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:37 am

pmfrench wrote:Even worse. If you go to the View menu and select Syntax Highlighting, numbers display in blue, formulas in green, text in black. You can see that there is no consistency in how the numbers were entered. Some were entered as text, some as numbers. The coloring is somewhat subdued in PlanMaker, but in LibreOffice Calc the equivalent is View menu, Value Highlighting, and the colors are much easier to distinguish.

Actually, I have highlighted the fields whose contents do not register and changed their cell properties to "numbers" but it made no difference. What is confusing is that I placed all the cells as "text" yet some cells' numerical values are recognized while others are not. I can fix it by changing the character of the cell into "numbers" then erase the cell contents and rewrite it, but I think that is a bit troublesome specially if we deal with big numbers.

webmiester

Postby webmiester » Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:41 am

webmiester wrote: Actually, I have highlighted the fields whose contents do not register and changed their cell properties to "numbers" but it made no difference. What is confusing is that I placed all the cells as "text" yet some cells' numerical values are recognized while others are not. I can fix it by changing the character of the cell into "numbers" then erase the cell contents and rewrite it, but I think that is a bit troublesome specially if we deal with big numbers.

Is this a bug, or is there a way to fix this?

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Postby sven-l » Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:28 pm

webmiester wrote:
webmiester wrote: Actually, I have highlighted the fields whose contents do not register and changed their cell properties to "numbers" but it made no difference. What is confusing is that I placed all the cells as "text" yet some cells' numerical values are recognized while others are not. I can fix it by changing the character of the cell into "numbers" then erase the cell contents and rewrite it, but I think that is a bit troublesome specially if we deal with big numbers.

Is this a bug, or is there a way to fix this?

That is no bug and it can't be fixed. It is the same as in every other spreadsheet program like Excel or LO Calc. You need to make sure that the numbers are entred as numbers (the cell format must be a valid number format).
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Return to “PlanMaker 2016 for Windows”