Crisis with footnotes at end of document

Post your questions, bug reports and suggestions here for TextMaker 2016 for Windows.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

ecbritz

Crisis with footnotes at end of document

Post by ecbritz » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:34 am

I am working on a 100 page document with about 600 footnotes. The footnotes have to be placed at the end of the document. When I set the footnotes to "Bottom of page" (Insert > Footnote > Options > Position > Bottom of page) then I have no problem. When I set the footnote position to "End of document", though, about five empty pages are automatically inserted before the end-of-document footnotes start. I'm doing this work on consignment so I need a fix urgently. What should I do to avoid the five or more empty pages added?

Jossi

Re: Crisis with footnotes at end of document

Post by Jossi » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:52 pm

First aid: Make all non-printable characters visible (Tools > Options..., tab "View"; check "All" at "Show unprintable characters"). What is at the beginning of the additional pages? Probably these are simple page breaks which can be deleted manually.

ecbritz

Post by ecbritz » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:04 pm

Thanks, I did what you advised me to do and deleted the hidden Returns/Page Breaks. But as soon as I saved the document and opened it again, the problem returned -- the Returns/Page Breaks were back. If I select to position the footnotes at the bottom of the pages, there is no problem. But the file might have become corrupted in some way, signaling huge waste of energy & time spent on it.

Jossi

Post by Jossi » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:07 pm

SoftMaker should definitely have a look at this issue. But some things are plain Voodoo – I for my part would leave the document as it is until the last revision, then, as the very last step, delete the empty pages and send it away.

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:08 pm

Just a hunch: did you turn on tracked changes, but disabled viewing them? Go to File > Properties > Reviewing and make sure that "Show changes" is active. Do you now see many deleted passages of text?
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

ecbritz

Post by ecbritz » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:42 am

"Track Changes" were not checked (i.e. not activated) but "Show Changes" was checked (i.e. activated). I have delivered the month's work with the footnotes set to "Bottom of page". The principal paying for the work said they would set the footnotes to "End of document" with MS Office. Goodness knows what will happen to the complicated, lengthy document when they do that. I did not mention to the principal that I used Softmaker for the task. Would Softmaker be willing to fix the problem with the file and be able to reproduce the same file with the footnotes at the end of the document --readable/writeable with MS Word?

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:11 pm

You should e-mail the document to forum (at) softmaker.com so that we can try to figure out what is going on.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

ecbritz

Post by ecbritz » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:58 pm

Thanks for the suggestion to submit the document. It is the extension of an unfinished document I've already submitted to my principal (the party paying for the project), in which I started battling with the various footnote-problems.

Please take a look at my new posting about three other footnote-problems I am encountering, such as overlapping of document text and footnote text. This is not the first time, or the first document, I've had these problems with. The overlapping (see attachment) I seem to be able to overcome by deleting a character close to and preceding the footnote. This will undo the overlapping and I can then re-insert the deleted character to see if the overlapping returns or continues.

I usually save to .doc and am now trying to see if saving to .docx might help.

The problem with submitting the extended document to you at this point is that it is confidential work-in-progress done under contract, and subject to a deadline closing in on me. There is nothing sinister about the document, it is simply subject to confidentiality because it will be published and sold. I do not have the legal right to expose it. Even more importantly, I do not have the time available to play around with this technical problem. I considered buying MS Office yesterday but I do not have time available now to learn MS Office while rushing to meet the deadline.

What is the confidentiality status of the document if I send it to the email address you have given me? I'll have to make do somehow until Monday when the deadline is reached.

By the way, could saving to .docx rather than to .doc make a difference?

Also: where can I download a fresh installation file for Softmaker 2016 so I can reinstall with the latest, updated installer? I could then use my license key to re-install. I do not want to install Softmaker 2018 at this point. I will certainly do that when I have time to learn and experiment again.

Return to “TextMaker 2016 for Windows”