How to type Yiddish charters?

Post your questions, bug reports and suggestions here for TextMaker 2016 for Windows.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

Anton S.

How to type Yiddish charters?

Post by Anton S. » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:37 am

I have a problem with typing two charters in Yiddish in Textmaker 2016. Yiddish language is not the same as Hebrew, but it uses Hebrew letters and charters. Although there are two charters which I can’t type with a standard Hebrew keyboard layout. The question is - how can I type them?

First charter: אָ Description: http://graphemica.com/אָ

Second charter: ייַ Description: http://graphemica.com/ײַ

My friend uses Microsoft Word 2007 with a Hebrew layout. There is a certain keyboard combination (switch to Hebrew - CapsLock - Shift F7), which lets to type one of these charters (there is another combination for the second). Is there a similar combination in Textmaker 2016 with a Hebrew layout?

Jossi

Re: How to type Yiddish charters?

Post by Jossi » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:01 pm

To insert rare characters there is Insert > Symbol... Choose a font that contains the characters you need, find them out in the character table, select a character and click the "Change" button. Then you can define a keyboard shortcut for it.
Another way is to look for the symbol icon in the icon bar (if it isn't there, you may draw it into the icon bar via Tools > Customise > Toolbars...). When you click it, the character table opens and you can select any character you want and insert it. There is a check mark on the right side of the icon; by clicking it, the last ten (or so) inserted characters are shown, so it is quite easy to use if you need certain characters repeatedly.

Anton S.

Re: How to type Yiddish charters?

Post by Anton S. » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:22 pm

Thank you, my problem is solved.

Return to “TextMaker 2016 for Windows”