Feature request

Post your questions, bug reports and suggestions here for TextMaker 2016 for Windows.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

Richard777

Feature request

Post by Richard777 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:00 am

If possible for the 2018 version, it would help productivity if the 'search and replace' dialogue box could remain open while doing page edits. I recall this has been mentioned before, but giving that 2018 is now in betatest thought I'd mention it again! :D

kelltic

Re: Feature request

Post by kelltic » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:46 pm

I just wanted to jump in and be added to the list of hopefuls. I work with some very long documents and find it tedious to keep reopening the search box. I have a list of other wishes, too. I should have submitted them earlier.

ecbritz

Post by ecbritz » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:31 am

When I do Search and Replace, the box DOES remain open while I search through a document for the various occurrences of the search term. When I select "Replace all", I am given the choice, after completion of the operation, of either closing or not closing the Search and Replace box. So no problems with the Search and Replace box as far as I can see. Actually, a "floating" Search & Replace box staying on screen while different documents are being edited, would be rather nice ...

What I find annoying, is that a .docx document is not always displayed by Softmaker 2016 exactly the way it is displayed by the latest version of MS Office. There seems to be a compatability problem. My son uses MS Office at school and has stopped using Softmaker at home as I hoped he would do, so I can better assist him with certain projects.

I would like to see WordPerfect's "Make it fit" feature in Softmaker 2018. That feature alone would be enough to make me reach for my credit card right away.
Softmaker 2016 & 2018.

Alfred

Post by Alfred » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:47 am

ecbritz wrote:and has stopped ... as I hoped he would do
I rather suspect that that’s the opposite of what you meant to say! :P
La perfection est atteinte non quand il ne reste rien à ajouter, mais quand il ne reste rien à enlever.
(Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.)
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (1900-1944)

Richard777

Post by Richard777 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:14 pm

ecbritz wrote: 'When I do Search and Replace, the box DOES remain open while I search through a document for the various occurrences of the search term.'

... Agreed, but that's not the problem. The issue we want changing is to allow the search box to remain open while we do edits, at the moment is has to be closed each time. This is not friendly to workflow (at least, it isn't for me!).

Other word processors do allow the search box to remain open while doing such edits, SMO does not, which can be jarring.

joredor

Post by joredor » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:52 am

I agree: the requested feature would improve the workflow when editing a document in TextMaker.

Alfred

Post by Alfred » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:32 pm

I'd like to see this changed. It's really quite inconvenient having a modal dialog for 'Search and replace'.
La perfection est atteinte non quand il ne reste rien à ajouter, mais quand il ne reste rien à enlever.
(Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.)
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (1900-1944)

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:00 pm

I will refer your suggestions to the product management.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Return to “TextMaker 2016 for Windows”