Service Packs

Post here those questions, bug reports and suggestions for SoftMaker Office 2016 for Windows that do not fit in any of the application-specific subforums.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

Freddie

Service Packs

Post by Freddie » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:17 pm

I, like I suspect many SoftMaker users, use both SoftMaker Office 2012 and SoftMaker Office 2016 as there are some things that seem to work better in either programme. While I appreciate that there will be no more service packs for 2012, I think it would be very worthwhile if you were to offer a 'mini' update, just with the latest file filters. I know that this has been mentioned before, but I really urge you to do this as it would be much appreciated by users and would surely be an easy thing for you to do.

Thank you

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Service Packs

Post by martin-k » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:27 am

It sounds like a great idea in theory, but unfortunately, it doesn't work this way. While the file filters are being improved all the time, the actual reading of the files (which could be retrofitted into SoftMaker Office 2012 with some effort) is only a small portion of the job. The real job involves adding the features to SoftMaker Office that do something useful with the feature.

For example, SoftMaker Office 2016 supports rendering SmartArt. Just adding the reading of SmartArt to SoftMaker Office 2012 gains you nothing. And adding the rendering of SmartArt to SoftMaker Office 2012 would mean adding a completely new feature to the old code.

Similarly, SoftMaker Office 2016 added opening Microsoft Office files in separate threads to speed up the process. This again meant changes to the file filters, but it also meant a whole rewrite of the structure of the software - impossible to backport to SoftMaker Office 2012. And as a "bonus", the restructuring of the code also means that code cannot be simply copied back to the old source code; it would have to be developed again in the old code.

Since you mentioned that some things work better in SoftMaker Office 2012, I am curious what these things would be. I am having a hard time finding anythign that I prefer in 2012 over 2016.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Freddie

Re: Service Packs

Post by Freddie » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:16 am

Thank you Martin for this informative and clear response. I had imagined that the code would be modular enough to be able to just update a small section of it (comes from years of developing in Delphi), but I do understand your explanation.

I agree that there seems no rationale behind the reason why some things just seem to go more smoothly in '2012' but I find that some of my older long documents, i.e., books, just seem to run a little faster and smoother in the previous programme. Perhaps it is something to do with my setup which, on this computer, is Windows XP 32 with an Athlon processor and 4mb RAM.

For the next revision then, SoftMaker Office 2018, a few tweaks to the dBase functionality in TextMaker would be interesting (in the absence of DataMaker) and a dedicated, very simple SoftMaker email client (very easy to build, then you can dump the Firefox dependency) would be good. Otherwise, just strengthen the existing functionality.

Another idea for you. I have already proven the suitability of TextMaker for writing long documents. Why not have a word with CreateSpace to get SoftMaker listed as the preferred author software - you could quickly adopt and refine their templates. Indeed, you might even consider a special Free TextMaker version to include these templates and act as an ambassador for the suite? Just a thought.

Kind regards,
F

Return to “SoftMaker Office 2016 for Windows (General)”